Help! Cannot set up new Mac Pro...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by M Zorin, Aug 25, 2010.

1. M Zorin macrumors newbie

Because the optical drive tray won't come out. I've got the rear latch unlocked and the first two hard drive carriers out, but the optical bay won't budge. Is there something I'm missing? Really want to get the SSD in there and get started.

2. sboerup macrumors 6502

Mine slid right out, easier than my previous MP too. sucks :(

3. eponym macrumors 6502

4. M Zorin thread starter macrumors newbie

5. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

Sometimes you have to wiggle it and use a bit of force. Mine was hard to get loose but it finally opened up.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Use some force, but be careful of the SATA connector in the back. Wouldn't want to rip that!

7. sirnh macrumors regular

You need to remove the 2nd and 3rd carrier, I think. Just try removing the first 3 to be doubly safe?

8. strausd macrumors 68030

Make sure the latch is up. Before I turned mine on when I got it I put an SSD in the optical bay and it seemed stuck. Then I used some force and it came out. So try more force, that may sound bad but I think it is supposed to be like that. But like someone else said, be careful of the cables.

9. CountlovE macrumors regular

I am curious to know why some of you are using the Optical bay for a SSD? Can't you use an ICY dock with a 2.5 SSD slid in one of the HD bays?

10. sboerup macrumors 6502

Because this would give you a 5th drive . . . since SSDs are much smaller, it's easier to put them up in the optical bay rather than take the space of a standard 3.5" drive in the 4 provided bays.

If there were 8 bays I'd be using them all :D

11. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

With the ODD bay you can just set it on the "floor", no adapters needed at all, plus it keeps all 4 sleds clear for that 4- disk scratch-and-project files RAID we all know you want.

Also, to add another anecdote for the OP, my optical drive caddy was a bit stiff too. Just make sure it's unlocked (lever up, no orange showing on the sled locks) and give it a good yank.

12. dockingbay94 macrumors regular

dockingbay94

13. M Zorin thread starter macrumors newbie

Hooray! Thanks for your advice. Brute force was the answer - though easier said than done when trying to treat a new machine with kid gloves.

SSD in, OSX installed, all is good.

Nice and quiet too.

Thanks for your suggestions and reassurance.