Help: Cannot shut down OS X 10.6 - spinning loading icon/blue screen remains

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stop.the.clocks, Mar 3, 2012.

1. stop.the.clocks macrumors newbie

Hi, each time I attempt to shut down my iMac I am faced with the blue screen and spinning/loading icon. I have been patient and let it run for over 2 hours but inevitably switch the physical button off at the back of the iMac.

Can anyone please offer some help? I do not want to cause any damage by switching off physically.

Cheers.

2. simsaladimbamba

Does it also happen in another, even temporarily created, user account?

And since when does it happen? Have you installed anything prior to this or modified something?

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You won't damage it by forcing it to power down by pressing and holding the power button for 10-20 seconds. Once you restart, try closing all apps before you shut down.

4. stop.the.clocks thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the prompt reply guys.

simsaladimbamba - I only have the one user account on the unit. It has been happening for the last few weeks so I can't remember what change (if any) was made directly before the issue, I thought it may be a temporary thing so I just ignored it (especially since the iMac is usually always 'on').

GGJstudios - I have tried closing all applications - same result unfortunately.

It may be worth mentioning that I've also tried disconnecting all external HDs and scanned them with disk utility.

Thanks for trying. :)

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

simsaladimbamba was suggesting that you create another account and try shutting down while logged into the new account. This is a good method of isolating the source of many problems.
    After you close all apps, launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes", then click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top). Also, click on the System Memory tab at the bottom. Then take a screen shot, scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot and post them.

6. stop.the.clocks thread starter macrumors newbie

Great, thanks for clarifying this for me. I am unable to switch off at present but will do so in the morning and post the results.

Thanks again guys! Always great to learn more. Much appreciated!

7. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Start up your iMac, do not open anything and try to shut it down.
    After some minutes, force it.
    Start it up again, open Console.app and go to system.log.
    What's logged there?

8. ajpegg macrumors newbie

Run Disk Utility and try repairing Disk Permissions. Also install the app Memory Freer which can clear inactive memory - that usually helps. I had a problem recently and it seemed to be totally down to Spotify hogging memory.

I wouldn't just sit there expecting it to eventually close. You may as well force a shutdown by holding down the power button so you can get on with fixing the problem.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Repairing permissions won't help and doing so is only appropriate in certain situations. It's not a "cure all".
    Repairing permissions: What you need to know
    Five Mac maintenance myths
    You don't need any 3rd party app to clear inactive memory. Clearing inactive memory can impede performance, not help it.

Mac OS X: Reading system memory usage in Activity Monitor
    I think you mean Spotlight, but that won't prevent a Mac from shutting down.

10. ajpegg macrumors newbie

No, I do mean Spotify, and I am only speaking of things that have apparently helped me, although I have no professional knowledge so I am happy to be corrected...