HELP! Canon HV20: Import Clips are Slower than Real Video Clip

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by robosalsa, Sep 19, 2007.

1. robosalsa macrumors newbie

I just got the Canon HV20 camcorder....when I download to Imovie, the clip in Imovie runs about 3-5 seconds slower per minute than the real picture, resulting in slightly slurred voices and slower picture. Just slightly slower, but enough to be painful to listen to/watch. I've read about such problems on posts before, but can't find them now. Anyone have any ideas how to address this problem...thoughts much appreciated!

2. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

Just a thought here, but do you have something in the chain set to PAL? PAL is 25hz wereas NTSC is 29.97Hz. Maybe an incorrect setting is causing the slowness.

3. amakh007 macrumors member

I just bought one to. No problems with import. Are you using the 24P mode. I think that one has problems.

4. robosalsa thread starter macrumors newbie

PAL Issue could very well be the problem but....

Thanks for the tips....PAL could very well be the issue...I have a PAL version of the HV20. IMovie help says it supports both systems, and I have tried manually trying different frame rates (25 vs. the 29.97) but that didn't seem to fix it. Any other setting in the chain anyone is aware of that I might try?

5. Tabloid-News macrumors newbie

-------

I bought a HV20 the other day set the camera to HD wide screen etc etc, loaded it up to iMovie, and whooo and behold it played back in slow motion.

If i set the camera to everything in standard mode,Imovie plays the video back ok, no problem.
    I use a dual G5 , 4 gig of ram, and a 30" Apple screen, so in theory every thing should play back fine.

George Richardson

6. Tabloid-News macrumors newbie

i think that i sovled this problem.
    I was playing back (via iMovie) on a slow drive.
    I then placed the video on one of my other faster drives, and it was 100% back up to speed.

GR