Help! Can't access Google, Facebook etc.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by CarolineM, Mar 4, 2016.

1. CarolineM macrumors newbie

My MacBook Air (OS X 10.9.5) has started acting weird. Lately it doesn't allow me access to many of the major websites I use like Google and Facebook but smaller e.g. local newspaper sites still work (it can work fine in the morning and then act up in the evening). I don't know what the problem is (and I'm not very good with this sort of thing). We have another Mac in the house and it works fine all the time so with it I've been trying to Google some answers (feels ironic somehow...) and have tried all the usual things like clearing cookies and cache, restarting computer, putting in new DNS (208.67.222.220; 208.67.222.222, not even sure what that is supposed to do but all hail mighty Google). I am at a loss so if anyone has any ideas that could help I would be very grateful.

2. wsk macrumors newbie

wsk

Perhaps updating the OS to the latest updates? Does a different browser achieve the same issue?

3. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

You can install a new browser like Chrome or Firefox and see if that changes anything. You can also make a new user account and then try some websites under the new account.

If the situation improves (especially under the new account), then you installed something malicious and it is interfering with your internet access. You can try the Google DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4).

Is the other Mac connected with a wire? Maybe your Wi-Fi device is acting up, so as the load increases in the evening things slow down.