Help! Can't Boot into Mac!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by aaronhead14, Dec 30, 2010.

1. aaronhead14 macrumors 6502a

aaronhead14

I have a huge problem! I decided to set up boot camp with windows 7 about a week ago. I haven't had any problems except for one thing -- i decided i wanted my windows partition to be larger after i had all my apps installed. So what i did is i shrinked my os x partition and that left some unallocated space. then i went into windows to try and stretch the windows partition, but it wouldn't work... so i downloaded easeus partition manager and tried that too, but it didnt work either. so i decided to try and create a new ntfs volume with the unalocated space. it worked, but ended with an error. then when i checked the volumes in easeus, it said my Mac partition was unallocated space!! but here's where it gets weird: when i'm in windows and i check disk management, it says the mac partition is fine! i even went into the drive (inside of windows) and all my mac files were there! even when i hold down option when i boot, it only displays the windows hard drive, so i can't boot into snow leopard. is there anything i can do without having to reinstall snow leopard? i am backing up all my files right now on an external (since i can view the drive in windows), but i really don't want to have to reinstall all my applications and then transfer my files back over.

any help is appreciated,
    thanks,
    Aaron

2. aaronhead14 thread starter macrumors 6502a

aaronhead14

hmmm, no response... after a whole hour... i guess i just posted at the wrong time of day....

but seriously... has any one else had this issue? or does anyone know how i can solve this problem?

3. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

Have you tried booting up with the OS X installer DVD, running Disk Utility, and doing a disk verify/repair? Also, do you have access to Disk Warrior? It might be able to help.

Good luck!

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The most likely cause of your problem is that your OS X partition got marked as not bootable. (not "blessed")

I'd first do as smirk says and if the verify/repair doesn't do it, I'd boot from the OS X install disc and try to "bless" the OS X partition.

And next time, read the guide http://guides.macrumors.com/Extend_or_Resize_Boot_Camp_Partition before you try stuff at random. ;)

B

5. aaronhead14 thread starter macrumors 6502a

aaronhead14

ok, thanks guys. i'll try these out and see what happens. and balamw, i did read that guide. the method i used was "Native OS utilities." But thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

-Aaron

6. aaronhead14 thread starter macrumors 6502a

aaronhead14

ok... i got nothing. when i booted from the SL install disc and went into disk utility, it didn't even show my mac partition on the left side where it shows all the disks... i went into "partition" after clicking on the hitachi disk and it showed that my mac partition was "free space." so i cant even verify and repair it through disk utility! but the weird thing is that i can still view my whole drive in windows. is there some kind of boot disc i can download in windows and burn that will allow me to repair my mac partition?

thanks again

7. balamw, Dec 31, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2010

balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

That sounds like your GPT and MBR partition tables are massively out of sync. OS X is looking at the GPT, Windows is looking at the MBR and they aren't the same.

You might be able to use a gparted live disc to try and correct things, but it would really be nice to know what's going on first.

I posted a utility called showpart (from the rEFIt source tree) in this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1070175 All it does is display the contents of the two partition tables. You should be able to stick it on a USB stick, boot to your OS X install disc, Open Terminal and run it to display what's going on with your partition tables.

I put a warning in the Native OS Utilities section that it hasn't worked out well and your mileage may vary. Definitely nowhere was Easeus mentioned as a tool that works. My guess is although it claims to support GPT it supports only Windows' variants of GPT and didn't like what it saw from the Mac tools.

B

8. aaronhead14 thread starter macrumors 6502a

aaronhead14

okay, i downloaded showpart, but i'm not exactly sure how to run it in terminal after i boot with the os x disc. i'm just not huge on command line.

9. aaronhead14 thread starter macrumors 6502a

aaronhead14

i extracted the zip and put just the file on a thumb drive with nothing else on the drive. just what do i type in terminal?

thanks a ton

Aaron

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

When you boot from the OS X install disc there is a menu item called Tools, one of the selections there is Terminal. Insert your USB drive, which will get mounted as /Volumes/<USB> where <USB> is the volume label on your thumb drive. In terminal type:

Code:
    sudo /Volumes/<USB>/showpart /dev/disk0
    I'm assuming showpart is in the root folder of your USB and your main HDD is available as /dev/disk0.

B

11. aaronhead14 thread starter macrumors 6502a

aaronhead14

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Okay so I tried that and all I'm getting is "-bash: sudo: command not found"

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Grr. I guess you may already have admin rights so try it without the sudo.

B

13. aaronhead14, Dec 31, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2011

aaronhead14 thread starter macrumors 6502a

aaronhead14

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hmmm never could get it going. So ive just decided to reinstall SL. But thanks for your help guys!

14. aaronhead14 thread starter macrumors 6502a

aaronhead14

Alright, everything's back in order now. In case anybody wanted to know.

Thanks again, and happy new year!