Help: Can't boot MBA because of min brightness

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by neko girl, Sep 4, 2011.

1. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

I guess I don't understand why this problem exists, but:
    -I had my MBA set on min brightness because I was using it remotely
    -I restarted the MBA
    -Since I have FileVault2 active, the MBA wants me to login
    -I can't login because MBA brightness is minimum
    -Brightness up/down does not work on this screen

Any ideas? Apple support line is apparently not 24 hours.

Thanks.

2. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

You can see the screen faintly, and the thing still works - use a flashlight to illuminate, click your username, and enter your password.

3. neko girl thread starter macrumors 6502a

neko girl

I tried this, but I don't see it :(

Min brightness seems to be screen off...

4. macbookpro45 macrumors 6502

just keep hitting tab and type in the password? i've had this happen before with a slightly different situation, but I know whenever i open the computer I just have to type in the password - so i typed it in, which logged me in, and then turned the brightness up.

basically i'm saying if you know what screen you're on, tab to where you think you type the pw and go from there

5. neko girl thread starter macrumors 6502a

neko girl

I've had the login window not show on a standby resume. In this situation you can type in your password and go, yeah.

On the FileVault2 login screen, there is no tab. You have to select your username picture with a MOUSE, click, then enter a password.

I don't know what to do..

6. neko girl thread starter macrumors 6502a

neko girl

7. gmanterry macrumors regular

gmanterry

I just tried it... here's the way to do it.

I have a 15" MBP running Lion with FileVault 2 encryption.

If your computer has been forced off, power it up and wait for the loginscreen to come up. You can't see so I would give it a full two minutes.
    The "secret" is not the tab key but the left and right arrow keys. My MBP has two accounts. To access the first (left most login) press the left arrow key. The one labeled 'Home'. To access the right hand account press the right arrow. (end). The login account does not cycle when you press the left or right key more than once. No matter how many times you press the left key, it will always select the left login. So, select your login, left or right, type in your password and hit Return. If it doesn't work the first time, do it again. Arrow, Password, Return. It will work.

Terry

8. neko girl thread starter macrumors 6502a

neko girl

Wow thanks Terry.

Also, to note, resetting the PRAM just brought it back to default brightness. It didn't seem to affect anything else on my system.

9. coopiklaani macrumors member

coopiklaani

shine a light to the Apple logo on the back. and you'll be able to see your login faintly.