Help? Can't connect through PPPoE with ANY Apple device

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by elistan, May 4, 2012.

1. elistan macrumors 6502a

This has been driving me crazy this evening because it's the sort of thing I can usually figure out on my own.

Basically, I woke up this morning and couldn't connect to my AT&T DSL with any Apple device:
    - iMac (2010, Lion)
    - AirportExtreme (1st gen)
    - Time Capsule (very new)

However, it works fine with other devices:
    - Dell laptop with XP
    - My old Linksys that's been in the closet for several years. (Pack rat to the rescue!)

Anybody heard of or experienced anything like this? Its just bizarre to me that all three Apple devices can't talk to the PPPoE server. There haven't been any updates overnight that I'm aware of. I've tried resetting the AEBS to factory and re-inputting the PPPoE credentials, but no joy.

Right now I have a Frankenstein setup: iMac (and iPhone, and iPad) -> AEBS via wifi in bridge mode -> Linksys via CAT5 -> DSL modem. Heh.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If you want to connect using multiple devices, then use a router. Until you properly setup your router, toggle your modem off--wait for 30 seconds--and then toggle back on before switching to a different device.

3. elistan thread starter macrumors 6502a

I do have a router - three of them, in fact. :) Neither of the Apple routers will sign on to DSL via PPPoE anymore, while the Linksys works just fine. :confused:

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Sounds two more routers than you need. Configuring a setup with multiple routers is easy to screw-up. I'm betting dollars to donuts that this is what you have done.

It would useful for you to diagram your network. Show how each router is setup and what is connected to what.

5. elistan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ive tried multiple different configs, each with only a single router connected to the modem.

Config one: Time Capsule connected to DSL modem via CAT5. PC connected to TC via wifi so I can view status. TC reports no response from PPPoE server. No other devices powered on.

Config two: Airport Extreme connected to DSL modem via CAT5. PC connected to AEBS via wifi so I can view status. AEBS reports no response from PPPoE server. No other devices powered on.

Config three: iMac connected to DSL modem via CAT5. iMac reports no response from PPPoE server. No other devices powered on.

Config four: Dell laptop running XP connected to DSL modem via CAT5. Everything works fine - I can log on through PPPoE and get to the Internet. No other devices powered on.

Config five: Linksys router connected to DSL modem via CAT5. PC connected to Linksys via CAT5 so I can view status. Everything works fine - I can log on through PPPoE and get to the Internet. No other devices powered on.

Currently: iPad connected to Airpot via wifi, Airport connected to Linksys via CAT5, Linksys connected to DSL modem via CAT5. Everything works perfectly.

(Some history if anybody is curious - the Linksys device is, like, 15 years old, back from when I first got DSL. When I got an iPhone in 2007, I picked up the AIrport Extreme because the Linksys's wifi was giving me some trouble. The Linksys went into the closet. Then when I got my iMac, I wanted an external hdd for backup - I decided to get a Time Capsule instead of just a USB drive because I could use that as my main router and use the Airport as a wireless bridge and bring it out to the living room for some devices that don't have wifi. It wasn't until the Apple devices started giving me trouble that the Linksys came out of storage.)