Help! Can't connect to one website.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacNitty, Oct 22, 2008.

1. MacNitty macrumors newbie

Hello All. I'm a newbie. Still kind new to the MAC family. I've my MAC since the beginning of the year. Now to the goody-goody.......

I'm having trouble getting to one website, www.simplifymedia.com on my MAC. I went to a friends house and was able to contact on their MAC. I have contacted simplify media, their response was that I have a DNS cache entry problem. I was able to connect went typing in the IP address of the website, but not when typing in the website address. Nor was I able to navigate through the website after connecting using the IP adress.

I have attempted to flush the DNS cache, but I'm not sure if it was successful. (I did not receive a confirmation message that it was successful.) I'm not sure If i should have gotten one. I'm still not connecting to the website.

I have a PC that was able to connect. I was able to download the program and install it on the MAC, but the program times out.

Any information that you guys can give would be greatly appreciated. I'm really not sure what to do next.

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

firstly i just have to say this… its "Mac" as in "Macintosh"… just like your username ;).

try resetting Safari from Safari's menu and renewing your DHCP lease in the TCP/IP tab of Advanced Network preferences.

3. MacNitty thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the correction. lol

OK.....I tried reseting Safari and renewing the DHCP lease, and the worked....partially. Now I can get to the site, but I cannot navigate throughout the site. Also the program simplify media is not connecting.

I attempted to connect using Firefox, and that is not connecting as well. Its not even loading the initial home page of simplify media.

4. MacNitty thread starter macrumors newbie

Do I need to flush the DNS cache? How would I go about doing that? What am I missing here? There has got to be a better way than reinstall the OS. :confused:

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

try using Open DNS first. theres a guide on here if you search.

6. MacNitty thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! Thank you!

OpenDNS worked. I was able to navigate to the site and throughout it. I was able to connect to the server with the progam, and my music loaded up with no problem. Thank you guys for your help.

But I do have one more question. Is this a bandaid to a problem, or is this a genuine fix?