Help! Can't decide about a computer!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RustyMac, Mar 21, 2007.

  1. RustyMac macrumors member

    Mar 21, 2007
    I am in need of a new system. I have been using an old, old iBook. I don't even touch it anymore. I instead use my school's G5 computers (where I teach). I know that Adobe CS3 is coming out soon and we should wait for the new platform to come out but, the problems is that I can't afford the new computers. I have thought of a MacBook Pro or the 24" imac but, again I would need to spend around $2000 to $3000, which I can't do. I need to save as much cash as possible since I am opening a Design Studio/Gallery. I can get a copy of Adobe CS2 (What we use to teach at school). I also know that I can get student/faculty discount but, it is still to expensive for my budget. I need something to get by for a while with out spending much. Everyone is talking about the new computers and programs coming out at the end of March or into April but, I have heard that we might not see them till August, when all the students get ready for school. Any suggestions? Should I go used or a new Mac Mini?
  2. siurpeeman macrumors 603


    Dec 2, 2006
    the OC

    if you don't even touch your ibook, you should sell it. you could get a couple hundred bucks. combine that with a refurb 1.83 core duo macbook ($799), and you have a fairly inexpensive computer to get you by.
  3. zero2dash macrumors 6502a


    Jul 6, 2006
    Fenton, MO
    I wouldn't use a Mini with Creative Suite because I'd rather use something with faster specs and parts. (Not that a Mini is a pile of crap or anything.)

    You can get refurbed iMacs for under $2000 depending on what monitor size you get, or you could also get a refurbed Mac Pro for around $2000. Check Apple's refurb section.

    I think you'd be foolish buying anything but an Intel-based Mac, but that's just my two cents. :eek:
    Even if you don't get CS3 right away (and you're going to use CS2 for awhile longer), I'd still get an Intel model since it is more future proof and eventually (perhaps with Leopard) will start getting ahead in terms of performance.
  4. munckee macrumors 65816

    Oct 27, 2005
    You're opening a design studio and you can't afford a computer :confused:

    Isn't your business sorta of contingent on...being able to do your work? No offense intended here; I know money doesn't grow on trees. But I also know that it takes a hell of a lot of money to start a business. If you can't afford something like the computers for your design studio, maybe something is amiss?
  5. RustyMac thread starter macrumors member

    Mar 21, 2007
    I guess what I am trying to say is that I don't want to spend lots on a computer that I know will probably be updated in August. I guess a referb. is the way to go. There is lots to opening a design studio. No one is looking at my computer, just my work. You are right I could spend big bucks on a system but, if the G5's that I use at the school where I teach do the job, I am sure I can go for something more affordable.
  6. Naimfan Suspended


    Jan 15, 2003

    For what you're talking about, and balancing the initial cost, why not go with a refurbished 20" iMac? $1299, almost always available....

    I am not a graphic designer type, but I would think you could survive with it for a while--certainly if you are teaching on G5s (which remain phenomenal machines!).


  7. Mr. MacBook macrumors 6502

    Feb 28, 2007
    LOL G5s Bullcrap.

    Need a good computer? Get the $1049 2GHz core 2 duo 1gb ram and 128 mb Graphics memory refurb and its fine. Combine it with your $400 iBook and thats quite a bang for the buck.

    New update is only gonna benefit the 20/24 inch iMac, the 17 inch ones are probably gonna get a new processor but same speed... not much different
  8. RustyMac thread starter macrumors member

    Mar 21, 2007
    Can you tell me more about this. I am not exactly clear on this. $1049? this is the new Mac Book or the iMac?
  9. RustyMac thread starter macrumors member

    Mar 21, 2007
    Actually, I see what you mean. I checked them out. Hmmm iMacs are nice, 17" or 20." Can you add an additional screen to the 20" iMacs? I thought of trying to go with the portability of a laptop, but of course they are much more. I really don't want to leave my computer at the site, but if this will save me money, I might just have to go with a desktop.
  10. RustyMac thread starter macrumors member

    Mar 21, 2007
    How about adding additional displays?
  11. nazmac21 macrumors 6502a


    Feb 25, 2007
    Digital World
    How about these options:

    Refurbished iMac 17-inch 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo SuperDrive
    1GB (2x512MB) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300)
    160GB Serial ATA hard drive
    Slot-load 8x double-layer SuperDrive
    ATI Radeon X1600 with 128MB GDDR3 memory
    Built-in AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth 2.0
    Built-in iSight Camera and Apple Remote
    price: $1,049.00

    Refurbished MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - White
    13.3-inch glossy widescreen display
    1280 x 800 resolution
    1GB memory (2x512MB SODIMMs)
    80GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive
    SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    Built-in iSight camera
    price: $1,099.00
  12. reflex macrumors 6502a

    May 19, 2002
    You should look at what computer will do the job for you now and if you want to spend that kind of money on it. If you find one, don't worry about the updates later this year, as your computer will still do what you bought it for.
  13. AlexisV macrumors 68000


    Mar 12, 2007
    Manchester, UK
    Get a Mini and use CS 2 on it. For Photoshop, it's fine, although better when CS3 comes out.
  14. Abstract macrumors Penryn


    Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    MacBook + 20" Dell WFP display. Right now, Dell seems to only be using the type of LCD panels that are "good" for photography and design work (colour accuracy). They're also on sale often.

    I can't imagine getting an iMac because I don't think it's a much better option than just using a MacBook. :eek:
  15. danielem macrumors newbie


    Dec 10, 2006
    An iMac will suit you well. I use a 24' for my designing and it always stays at my work site. Prior to my iMac, I used a 17' PB. Sure the portability is great, but the screen size and the lack of LCD brightness just doesn't do it for me. Hope this helps.
  16. 4God macrumors 68020


    Apr 5, 2005
    My Mac
    Yeah, you can add an additional display by using an adapter (mini DVI - DVI).
    Although, you should get the graphics upgrade from 128 to 256 MB. Probably
    can't do that with a refurb but I guess you can hope that you get a surprise with your
    shipment. I suggest the Dell 20", great monitor and great price.
  17. RustyMac thread starter macrumors member

    Mar 21, 2007
    SO you are saying that a MacBook with a 20" screen will do the job? Will a MacBook have enough power? Originaly, I wanted to go with a Laptop with a screen because I don't want to leave the laptop at the Studio and can bring it home, but the MacBook Pros are too expensive for me right now. I am not sure that a MacBook will do the job. Doesn't the iMac have a separate graphics card compared to the MacBook?

Share This Page