Help! Cant decide imac 27 inch or Mbp 13 inch

Discussion in 'iMac' started by LauraVlogz, Jul 22, 2011.

1. LauraVlogz macrumors newbie

Okay everyone i have a unique situation i cant decide to either buy a mbp 13 inch base model or the imac 27 inch base model. At first i really wanted to buy a mbp but as i thought about it i dont know if it can handle the things i want to do with it. i am going to be surfing the web watching video etc normal stuff. But i also want to do some video editing with it. i have done alot of video editing on my pc with high end software's but i don't know if the mbp 13 can handle final cut express. i refuse to buy the high end 13 because i can get the 27 inch imac for $1,599 since i am a student. i don't want the imac 21 inch either or a macbook pro 15 inch. i also think of the future when buying a computer in a few months i will get a canon t3i. can the mbp handle exporting files at 1080p at 60 fps. and not only that is the screen size to small for video editing? and don't tell me to get a external monitor because if i was going to put my macbook on a table it defeats the whole purpose of it being a laptop and i would rather just buy the imac. If you are going to ask me about portability this is how i see it. i rarely take my laptop out of my house but i do enjoy using it while laying down on my bed,couch or any place in my house, unlike the imac i dont have to sit in a chair for hours and i can relax. i share a room with my sister and i cant ever have any late night Skype video calls because of my desktop, the monitor light is to bright or i just can make sound in order for her to sleep. This is also a main reason i want a mbp so i can just go to the living room or some other place of my house and can take my computer. if i get a imac i i will probably buy a cheap pc laptop just for surfing the web so it wont be expensive but i wont have ichat which sucks.

These are all the things stopping me from deciding which one to choose. which one do you recommend to get? and if you're wondering what kind of video editing i do and how heavy i have a channel on youtube. and those types of videos is mostly what i do but i might try new and more advance things soon.

http://www.youtube.com/user/LauraVlogz

~Laura

2. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Sounds like you'll have to compromise either way. I'd probably go with the iMac and cheap laptop because the mbp's screen resolution is pretty low. Have you considered the macbook air at all as it supports a higher resolution which is more beneficial for the work. The main downside of it is of course the smaller storage (SSD, of course) but you could perhaps buy a cheap external hard drive for the extra storage.

Might I ask why you've ruled out the 15 inch MBP?

3. jscw macrumors newbie

Here is the math I did earlier.

27 Cinema Monitor, 999
    iMac 27, 1699.
    Difference is 700. Is it possible to get any similar machine w/o monitor for 700?
    No. I am sold.

For MBP, will 13 too small? If yes, how big of the external monitor do you want? And, how much is it? 23/24 IPS monitor, probably 300-400 bucks. 27, 1K.

I chose iMac 27 in the end.