Help! Cant decide Mbp 13 inch or imac 27 inch?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LauraVlogz, Jul 21, 2011.

1. LauraVlogz macrumors newbie

Okay everyone i have a unique situation i cant decide to either buy a mbp 13 inch base model or the imac 27 inch base model. At first i really wanted to buy a mbp but as i thought about it i dont know if it can handle the things i want to do with it. i am going to be surfing the web watching video etc normal stuff. But i also want to do some video editing with it. i have done alot of video editing on my pc with high end software's but i don't know if the mbp 13 can handle final cut express. i refuse to buy the high end 13 because i can get the 27 inch imac for $1,599 since i am a student. i don't want the imac 21 inch either or a macbook pro 15 inch. i also think of the future when buying a computer in a few months i will get a canon t3i. can the mbp handle exporting files at 1080p at 60 fps. and not only that is the screen size to small for video editing? and don't tell me to get a external monitor because if i was going to put my macbook on a table it defeats the whole purpose of it being a laptop and i would rather just buy the imac. If you are going to ask me about portability this is how i see it. i rarely take my laptop out of my house but i do enjoy using it while laying down on my bed,couch or any place in my house, unlike the imac i dont have to sit in a chair for hours and i can relax. i share a room with my sister and i cant ever have any late night Skype video calls because of my desktop, the monitor light is to bright or i just can make sound in order for her to sleep. This is also a main reason i want a mbp so i can just go to the living room or some other place of my house and can take my computer. if i get a imac i i will probably buy a cheap pc laptop just for surfing the web so it wont be expensive but i wont have ichat which sucks.

These are all the things stopping me from deciding which one to choose. which one do you recommend to get? and if you're wondering what kind of video editing i do and how heavy i have a channel on youtube. and those types of videos is mostly what i do but i might try new and more advance things soon.

http://www.youtube.com/user/LauraVlogz

~Laura

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

well if you don't need the portability of the mbp, there is no reason why you shouldn't just get an iMac, which will be a lot better for video editing and most of your tasks in general.

i read your bit on portability concerns and i can relate in terms of just using it in the home and not necessarily being at a desk, and if you don't want to sacrifice that and just want one capable machine that can do all that you want to do, go with the mbp. it should handle video editing just fine, really.

3. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

13" MBP resolution is piss poor for any serious video editing. If you're not considering an external monitor (such as you stated), I don't recommend it. It's a great screen, colors and everything; just the resolution is poor.

HOWEVER, if you do get a cheap 1080p external monitor to go with the 13" MBP then for your situation the MBP is better than the iMac.

4. aozborne218 macrumors newbie

If your interested,

I have a 1 month old 21'' iMac 500gb thunderbolt! 4gb ram! I'm selling it because I need money for bills...Let me know if you are interested. I know its 27'', but Its just the same with a smaller screen. Will ship, I use ebay, I sell on it. Hopefully we can work something out!

5. Virgo macrumors 6502

Virgo

Get the iMac for the desk, and an iPad for portability. I think Skype is coming for the iPad soon, too?