Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Charsiufan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2020
I swapped out the HDD for a Kingston A400 SSD in my 2014 Mac Mini late edition. I tried to install the OS using a suitable USB but the new SSD didn't show up as an available partition.

I took the SSD out and put back the HDD - and it boots no issue.

I used another 2014 Mac Mini and connected the SSD to it using a USB SATA cable and was able to install Mojave on the SSD. This worked fine, the install was successful.

I put the SSD back in the original Mac Mini and it still can't boot. What am I missing!?

Thanks all

Charsiufan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2020
Were you able to boot from the ssd with the second Mac?

It rebooted at least once during the install so I guess yes but was connected by a SATA cable, not inside the device. I didn't want to pull 2 Mac Minis apart. The IR socket came off the motherboard on the first one ?

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
Good point. I did a bit of Googling but couldn't confirm that.

Any list of compatible SSDs?

I don’t think there is such a list. I vaguely remember reading something about this but I can’t confirm it. It might have been just from part of someone‘s brand recommendation rational in a post Like this one. Like “I always use Samsung because............ “

But from what you have been experiencing it could be a possibility. Maybe you should try and contact the SSD manufacture’s support about it before going through the hassle of trying a different brand’s SSD.

Reactions: Charsiufan
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.