HELP - Can't eject DVD!!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jbrown, Sep 28, 2010.

1. jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Hi All

Hope you can help out here. Been having a few problems reading DVDs ( slightly funny sound when spinning then spits them out ) - although it would read some OK, such as System disk.

I out in a DVD just now, and it pulled it in, but then nothing - no spinup at all.

And now I can't eject it - tried the eject button, logging out and back in again, restarting while holding down the trackpad button.

Nothing works:(

Any ideas?

Macbook Pro 2.8

cheers all
    :):)

2. kohlson macrumors 6502a

HELP - Can't eject DVD!!!!

Happened to me once on a 2007 version MBP. I forget where I read the answer, but after trying all the software approaches, the suggestion was to turn the MBP on edge, so the DVD drive was pointing straight toward the floor and hit the eject button. Worked for me. Seemed to have been an issue with the DVD -- others continued to work after that.

3. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Tried all on that list - there seems no life from it at all.

No disc icon on desktop ( or any programs - iTunes, DiskUtility, Toast etc. ).

When I press eject, restart, or try any cures there's no sound from the drive at all.

Computers in very good condition, never been dropped, and I don't use the DVD drive very often.

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

If you have tried everything on the list that spinnerlys provided then I would take it to an Apple store. (Are you sure the disk is in there? :p)

5. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

6. Hisdem macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

I assume you have tried restarting the Mac and holding the eject key before and during the gray boot screen?

7. Swissbird macrumors newbie

Swissbird

Try this

Reboot and press and hold the trackpad button at the startup tone until the disk comes out

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Happened already:

And that method is also listed here:

9. Swissbird macrumors newbie

Swissbird

Just power up MBP, leave it alone for about 10 minutes. It will eventually boot up and the CD/DVD will automatically eject (make sure your power cable is plugged in!).

Or hold down the eject button while booting

Open Disk Utility, select the dvd drive, choose FILE and EJECT.

Look at the drive slot. Mine has a little hole on the left of the drive. Put MBP to sleep, insert straightened paper clip in the eject hole, and push firmly til it ejects.

You can eject using firmware as a last resort.

This happened to me, I made a note and now can't find it. If I do, and it's different than above, I'll check back.

10. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

PS: The following are the steps provided in the guide I linked to.

11. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Thanks for all the tips - tried them all and no luck.

I can't seem to use the 'eject' command in any program ( Finder, iTunes, Disk Utility, Toast etc. ) - because the disk never mounted and so the application don't 'see' it.

Do the drives on the unibody MBP have a physical method to eject the disc - the paperclip method? If so, where and how?

cheers
    :eek:

12. tjb1 macrumors 68000

1. Open terminal (under utilities)
    2. Once in terminal type: drutil tray eject 0 then hit enter.

13. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

14. tjb1 macrumors 68000

The drive doesn't eject discs or discs eject slowly

If the drive ejects discs slowly or appears to be struggling, insert and eject a single disc several times.

If the drive does not eject discs using the F12 or eject key on the keyboard.

If the disc will not eject try dragging the disc icon to the trash.

If the disc will still not eject, holding down the trackpad or mouse button after restarting the computer should also eject a disc.

----->>If the disc continues not to eject, reset the Power Manager (PMU) or System Management Controller (SMC) and try steps 1-4 again.

If the disc still does not eject, for additional troubleshooting, evaluation, or service please contact Apple, contact an Apple Authorized Service Provider, or make an appointment with an Apple Retail Store.

SMC = http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964?viewlocale=en_US

Here are directions for intel-macbooks with non-removable battery.

Note: Portable computers that have a battery you should not remove on your own include MacBook Pro (Early 2009) and later, all models of MacBook Air, and MacBook (Late 2009).
    Shut down the computer.

Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.

On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.

Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.

Press the power button to turn on the computer. Note: The LED on the MagSafe power adapter does not change states or temporarily turn-off when you reset the SMC.

15. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Tried - twice - nothing.....this is getting really annoying. Surely there's a physical method?

cheers

16. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Yes, remove drive...smash with hammer... Glue dvd back together

Does the drive show up in system profilier? Also you could try unplugging drive, boot, shutdown and reconnect drive and see if that works.

17. LocoStrange macrumors member

I just have to ask.... are you sure there is something in the drive? Especially since you stated there is no recognition of the dvd in any program.

18. Swissbird macrumors newbie

Swissbird

Paper Clip, grand tool of Apple for years

Loco, I'm wondering too, about maybe there's no DVD in there. But do try the paper clip, jbrown. Use the LARGE one, straighten it out, and look for the little hole (mine is hard to see, but it's on the left of the slot). Insert paper clip firmly.

19. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Hi All,

I know the paperclip method worked on older Powerbooks - but don't know
    if it works on MBPs.

There is ( was ) definitely a DVD stuck in there.

Problem solved!!! :D:D:D

Took it to Regent Street Apple store - told them I'd tried all the fixes hi-lited in this thread. They tried a few and then declare the drive dead...and replaced there and then ( instead of the usual 2 weeks ).

Well done Apple - one satisfied customer.

Again thanks to all on here who offered up suggestions :)

20. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Has anyone verified that superdrives actually have a paperclip eject? I tried looking through the carpet wall? and I couldnt see anything. But glad you got it fixed.