Help! Can't get service

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iUser4Lyfe, Apr 29, 2010.

1. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

Ok basically what happened was I had my 3GS in my pocket while I was playing ping pong. Apparently I must have smashed it against the table because when I took it out my pocket the glass was splintered. I have no problems replacing the glass but this is where the problem is: I can no longer get signal. The phone just sits on No service. Eventually I will get a "searching" and maybe even 1 bar ALWAYS goes back to No service eventually.

My question is is it possible to break the antenna? Even though ONLY the glass is broken? LCD and digitizer still work. Wifi still works. I simply just can't get cell phone signal. If the antenna is broken is it possible to replace?

Thanks.

K.

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Sure the antenna can break, but I'd doubt that happened from your accident. Try rebooting.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

4. iUser4Lyfe thread starter macrumors 6502

Ive tried rebooting as well as reset network settings >> No change

I could obviously do that but i would rather not spend 200 cash then another 400 to 600 for the new phone when its released.

5. iUser4Lyfe thread starter macrumors 6502

Any ideas? is the antenna something that could be replaced?

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You could restore and setup as new to make sure.

Otherwise, yes, it's replaceable, but you'd have to google how to do it. You risk breaking something else though and it may be more than the antenna.

7. iUser4Lyfe thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah but at this point I have an ipod touch and no phone. If it breaks, I suppose ill just be without a cell phone until I can afford the new phone.

Still it just seems odd that just the glass shattered, digitizer and LCD are fine, yet something on the motherboard breaks. :(

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It's up to you what u want to spend or not.
    But unless your reall good at taking electronics apart and repairing them I wouldn't advise wasting money on parts.

9. iUser4Lyfe thread starter macrumors 6502

ok I opened my phone and I think the faulty piece the cable going to the antenna.

I believe its called the antenna flex cable? or the antenna flex connector?

10. iUser4Lyfe thread starter macrumors 6502

Anybody know if its possible to use the Antenna circuit from a 3G phone in a 3GS? Because I have the know how to replace that part if its compatible.

11. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

NOPE! IT WONT WORK!!!!

you need to replace the entire ribbon cable that controls all of the buttons on the phone. but to be honest I dont think that is your problem. the antenna is on the bottom of the phone attached to the dock assembly. thats an easy fix. the wife cable is on the top of phone under the ear phone jack.

12. iUser4Lyfe thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I have located the dock assembly as well as the antenna. If i buy a complete dock assembly I assume (unfortunately) that it will not come with another antenna?

Also, What is the purpus of the wife cable you speak of? Like I said, my wifi works fine. Obviously I did something to the antenna when the screen smashed (the break is straight across where the black bezel meets the LCD above the home button).

Is the part im looking for a antenna circuit?
    http://www.directfix.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=GHT&Product_Code=IP-2332&Category_Code=

13. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

no that is not the entire part you are looking for. you need the complete dock assembly for a 3g iPhone. that is just the antenna you are looking at. but to be honest the part you are looking for is priced about the same. you are on the right track to fix your problem. the thing is you will have to take out your motherboard to replace the dock assembly. the way your original post started you were going to be taking out the wrong parts. your antenna could have been damaged when you broke your screen cause based on the location you described its in the same place. however it is unusual!! here is the part you need. I am not saying to buy this part from this guy but this is what you need. http://cgi.ebay.com/OEM-Apple-iPhon...ewItem&pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item27b16027ac

make sure when you install it to put the screw wholes on top of the mounting holes on the bezel so it will line up correctly.

14. iUser4Lyfe thread starter macrumors 6502

Ahhh ok. So if I buy "the entire dock assembly" it will come with an antenna already installed? So I can just take out my old dock assembly and replace it with the new one?

Once again thank you for your help

Also the part there is a 3G dock assembly. I have a 3GS. I assume they are the same components for both phones?

15. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

also the link you provided is wrong. that part is not compatible with the 3gs iPhone. it only works on the 3g models. there is one for the 3gs though but that is not it.

16. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

yes the entire process should take no more than 10 minutes. when you take all of the screws out of the mother board you will also have to take the one out of the camera. the #6 is the wifi connector and can be a little tough to plug back in. the most important thing to remember is make sure your iPhone is turned off before starting any repairs! you can blow the proximity sensor when you plug #3 back in with any juice flowing. this will cause your ear speaker not to work and your light sensor not to work.

17. iUser4Lyfe thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for you help!!!!

another quick question. Is there a difference between a 3g dock assembly and a 3GS dock assembly as the link you provided pointed towards a 3G dock assembly.

18. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

Yes I'm sorry I thought you had a 3g. They are different.

19. iUser4Lyfe thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you.

Looks like Im out to find a dock assembly. May be easier to buy it from a iphone repair shop ya think? I don't trust ebay.

20. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

Ya if you can find one that will just sell you the part. I don't sell parts and most don't. But I don't trust eBay either. I can't go a week without someone bringing me their iPhone to fix cause the parts off eBay didn't work.

21. iUser4Lyfe thread starter macrumors 6502

Lol. Actually, I wouldn't be opposed to a repair shop replacing th dock assembly for me..if they don't try and break the bank on me. I work in tech industry anyway so i know enough to do it myself if need be

22. iFixYouri macrumors member

There are plenty of repair shops out there that will sell just the part you're looking for.

23. iUser4Lyfe thread starter macrumors 6502

I checked out your site and I am interested due to you being located in the FL area. As you have read my thread, is this something your company may be able to handle?