HELP - Can't install OS X Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kachen15, Jul 21, 2015.

1. kachen15 macrumors newbie

Hi I have older Macbook Pro (2007) and I'm not able to run installation. When it wants to sign in with apple ID before downloading OS X, after I pressed enter, nothing happens. I have new apple ID and I'm already login in my friends iPhone and download one app to activate my account.

Can you help me?

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

That machine was before snow leopard so you would need the snow leopard disks to install it.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's not snow leopard then, If you want OS X 10.6 you'll need to find the disks somewhere.

4. kachen15 thread starter macrumors newbie

I know, I'm trying install snow leopard, but I'm not able to download it, because in installation setup I cannot log with apple id. Apple ID is required for download OS.

5. kachen15 thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately I do not have installation disk. I want to install from the Internet.

6. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Which you cannot do. Call apple and pay the $20 for the disks.

7. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

As have already been stated, you can not do that with Snow Leopard.

8. kachen15 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm so sorry, I have Mountain Lion. On youtube I saw, that's possible.
    From disk utility -> then re-install OS X -> continue -> agree -> install -> log in apple id (THIS IS MY PROBLEM, which i'm not able to pass)

9. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Your computer didn't come with mountain lion, it came with leopard, this was before the time when you could reinstall online. If you have deleted the OS you have to restart with the OS it came with, using the disks, if you do this you cannot upgrade online unless you use snow leopard disks.

You can use another mac to download mountain lion make a bootable USB stick and load that from there.

There is a guide here....

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/25/create-a-bootable-mountain-lion-usb-key-installer/

10. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Then create an apple ID

11. chrfr macrumors 603

You may be able to bypass this just by typing Command-Q, but in general creating or using an Apple ID when reinstalling OS X isn't mandatory. Are you sure you aren't overlooking a button labeled "skip?"

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Here is what I think is going on. It sounds like someone installed Mountain Lion on that Mac and you did a command-r boot to the Mountain Lion recovery partition to reinstall. When you get to the part where it is ready to download the OS it prompts you for an AppleID. You will need to enter an AppleID that was used to purchase Mountain Lion, otherwise the download request will be rejected. You have a new AppleID with no Mountain Lion purchase attached to it, so this will not work.

Did you already use Disk Utility to erase the OS? If not, just boot back to the Mountain Lion OS. Then go here and purchase Mountain Lion. Apple will email you a code you can use with the App Store app to purchase Mountain Lion. Then with that Mountain Lion purchase associated with your AppleID the download will be accepted from the recovery process.

If you have already erased Mountain Lion, you are in a bit of a spot. You will either need to order a Snow Leopard DVD to reinstall then update to Mountain Lion from there. Or you can use a friends Mac to make the Mountain Lion purchase in the App Store like I described.

13. kachen15 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's possible downgrade to Snow Leopard or Leopard without DVD or buying on store?

14. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

No you have to buy it.

**edit** OSX hasn't always been free 10.8 was the first "free" upgrade. 10.7 was $20, 10.6 was $40 ( think), and Leopard was $130.

15. kachen15 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, you need the disks, call apple or search on ebay for them.

17. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR