Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobfitz14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Massachusetts
first of all i searched the forums and couldn't find any help...

soooo i downloaded the software update through iTunes, let my Touch sync it and everything. i forgot that is was going to un-Jailbreak my iPod but i figured whatever i'll download the new QuickPWN.

then i googled for QuickPWN 2.2.1 and some weird like 2.2.5 came up, i still tried it and in QuickPWN it said it did firmware (software? what's the difference..) 2.2.1 and so i continued through with it. i've tried it like 3 times and nothing has happened. i downloaded some .net thing i found here but nothing.

can someone give me a valid link for Jailbreaking a 1st gen Touch with 2.2.1 software?! oh, it must be for Windows too :eek:

bobfitz14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Massachusetts
Try the Official WinPwn. If that fails, post back and I'll try think of something else :p

i tried what you gave me and it went through the whole process and still Cydia and Installer doesn't show up, and yes they are checked when i am Jailbreaking. then i tried the guy who posted after you and it said "Firmware string error" but i think that's because it's not meant for 2.2.1

think a Restore is the best way? cause right now i have weird titles on my iPod because i had that "MakeItMine" thing where you could edit it, and now it's goofy looking.

Tokiopop

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2008
West Yorkshire, UK
i tried what you gave me and it went through the whole process and still Cydia and Installer doesn't show up, and yes they are checked when i am Jailbreaking. then i tried the guy who posted after you and it said "Firmware string error" but i think that's because it's not meant for 2.2.1

think a Restore is the best way? cause right now i have weird titles on my iPod because i had that "MakeItMine" thing where you could edit it, and now it's goofy looking.

Yes, try a restore. If you want to jailbreak use QuickPwn 2.2.5 (It's for 2.2.1) again.

bobfitz14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Massachusetts
Yes, try a restore. If you want to jailbreak use QuickPwn 2.2.5 (It's for 2.2.1) again.

i hate Restoring and i've had to do it a couple times within the past couple months but whatever i can't use my iPod right now so now is a good time to do it. thanks for the help.

memo90061

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I've jailbreaken my iPod Touch before and had no problems. I downloaded 2.2.1 and I can't get it in DFU mode. I keep getting this error everytime I follow the steps that QuickPwn tells me to do. This is the error I keep getting.

picture1mx4.png

insanityq

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2008
I've jailbreaken my iPod Touch before and had no problems. I downloaded 2.2.1 and I can't get it in DFU mode. I keep getting this error everytime I follow the steps that QuickPwn tells me to do. This is the error I keep getting.

picture1mx4.png

Did you try fully restoring your iPod to its default state through iTunes before using QuickPWN?

Manikstor

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2009
thats why i didnt update my ipod to 2.2.1 :) its still on 2.2 for me.

the update wasent even important it was mostly for the iphone.

richardhunt

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2007

picture1mx4.png

Are you using OSX 10.5.6? If so that may be your issue. There's a problem with getting the iphone/ipods into DFU mode with the update. Read the dev teams's blog regarding the work around. I have kept one of my macs at the 10.5.5 release just for this reason.

musicmeastro

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2009
Yeah I have 10.5.6. Hmm. Thanks for the reply. I'll go read about it.

I got it to work. :D

all you need to do is quit itunes when it pops up and open it again then hit option and the restore button and restore with the new firmware you got with qpawn

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.