Help -- Can't log into iChat

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cleung, Nov 7, 2008.

1. cleung macrumors regular

I've never had trouble using iChat and in fact I was just using it for a video as well as a text chat today. I restarted my computer and since then have been having lots of issues. Every time iChat tries to start up, it says:

Disconnected from iChat Agent
    The iChat Agent process has unexpectedly quit, disconnecting you from all services. Logging in again will restart it.

Of course, every time I try to re=login or restart, it yields the same result. Can anyone help??

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Create a test user account from your Accounts pane in system preferences. Try logging into iChat on the other user account. Does it work? If it does, it means that the plist file for iChat on your main account has somehow been corrupted. Navigate to Macintosh HD/Users/(your user)/Library/Preferences, and yank the iChat plist to the desktop. Relaunch iChat, set up the account again and try logging in. If it doesn't work on either computer user account, I would then check the server settings in your iChat preferences, or consider uninstalling and reinstalling iChat from the optional software installer on your Mac OS X restore discs.

3. sholaphoenix macrumors newbie

help! i can't log into ichat

i just opened an ichat acct following the prompts in the program that popped up when i opened it for the first time in my laptop. when it got to the prompt asking me for a password it would not let me enter one so i left it blank. then once it was set up i went to click on as "available" and it changed the status to connecting, then a window popped up asking for my password. i left it blank and pressed enter and it does nothing and won't let me online. !!!!!! help! i am sooooo confused. it also will not let me reset the password in preferences!!!!!!