HELP! Can't Login! After leopards first update. Endless "Migration Assistant" Loop!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by RL600, Oct 27, 2007.

1. RL600 macrumors member

EDIT: It's an endless SETUP assistant loop. Not migration assistant. Sorry.

I installed the newest update for leopard. First of all, yesterday I decided to participate in the fun and stand in line for leopard. Waiting maybe 10 minutes and got in and got my copy. I get home and I'm setting up mail.app with the new gmail imap support, and BAM the OS crashed. Not even 6 hours using it and I crashed.

but on to my biggest problem:

I installed the newest update the one that fixes the Login & Keychain update. I have problems restarting and quitting/force quitting system preferences, so I hold down my power button to force a shut down. I boot it back up, and "What the hell?! Mac OS X Setup Assistant?!" So to make it happy, I did it. Well then it goes right back to the Setup Assistant again, so i do it, goes back to setup assistant. Repeat 6 times. I'm stuck at the Setup Assistant. Can't get past it at all. Anyone else have this problem, or anyone have any ideas to fix this? Really disappointed with this update so far.

Thanks.
    Reid.

2. RL600 thread starter macrumors member

3. yellow5 macrumors regular

I'm having the same problem.

Ran the installer, restarted ... endless Setup Assistant loop.

I've zapped the PRAM and ran the FSCK to no avail.

:(

4. RL600 thread starter macrumors member

I got it fixed, no idea what I did really. Ill tell you It came up, quit setup assistant, it went to my user login, i clicked back, then shut down, and it installed an update. It wasnt the first time i did it, so I dont know why it chose to all of a sudden do it the 20th try.

Good luck!

5. yellow5 macrumors regular

I ended up restoring from a earlier Time Machine backup (thank god for that!)

Now I'm very hesitant to re-install this update.

Anybody else have this problem or any idea what might have caused it?

6. TonicAngel macrumors regular

I have this issue with my dad's g5. WTF! I've done the setup assistant **** at least 8 times now and quit the application so many times I have quit counting. Anyone have a fix? I did not have the issue with my MPB core2duo. My dad's g5 however is the spawn of satan. So much for the "family pack" I was able to install it on one computer. Of course the computer is out of warrenty so a call to applecare is out of the question. :mad: :mad: :mad:

7. BobZune macrumors 6502a

Try starting in safe mode (press down SHIFT key while powering ON and hold the shift key down for a while - some people have put something heavy on the shift key for a few minutes - and let it boot, it might take several minutes). You will get back in the same loop, but should be able to quit the Setup Assistant and then reboot (if you can't quit it, wait for a couple of minutes and power cycle it). This will most likely fix the problem.

I read about the issue either here or Apple forums. I had the same problem after installing the first software update for "Login & Keychain Update", but reinstalled Leopard and I have so far declined that update.

Update 1: Going back to the account I created when installing Leopard, the software update installed and worked fine (had problems in the admin account I brought over from back up).