Help! Can't make disc play on Macbook?

jennifer.dawn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
I recently visited an amusement park and went on a ride which I received a video of afterwards. The video will not play on quick time or on my itunes.
When I do try to open it with quicktime, a message pops up saying "The movie could not be opened. Operation could not be completed. (OSStatus error-50.)"
The disc's format is ISO 9660 (Joliet), if that's helpful at all.

I don't know much about computers in general, I would really appreciate any feedback, thanks!

jennifer.dawn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
When I open the disc from my desktop, the icon says 1505.AVI, so AVI I am guessing it is haha.

I have not heard of the VLC Player, but I can always try downloading that. I can try the same with the Perian thing too. Should it play on one of those better?

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
When I open the disc from my desktop, the icon says 1505.AVI, so AVI I am guessing it is haha.

I have not heard of the VLC Player, but I can always try downloading that. I can try the same with the Perian thing too. Should it play on one of those better?
VLC Player pretty much plays any codec of video, so yeah download that and try opening the video with that. I think it should work.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen

.avi is a format to store video, just like .mov or .mp4 files.
Like .doc or .rtf or .txt or .xls files store textual information (with some graphics sometimes).

As .mov is a QuickTime format, thus made by Apple, and .avi is not, .avi files are normally not supported via QuickTime.
You can install Perian, which is not a standalone player, but an add-on to play more formats in QuickTime, or you can use VLC to have a separate player for formats QuickTime does not take.

I don't know how long you have been using Mac OS X, but your comment on not being computer savvy makes me wanna give you the following:

Also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

Mac OS X Basics

Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​
MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3

jennifer.dawn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Thank you so much, you've been very very helpful! I will take what you said and try it, I'm sure it'll work great. Thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.