HELP Can't print on brand new MBP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Baloney1011, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Baloney1011 macrumors member

So, I just got my MBP yesterday and for whatever reason I can't print. I plugged in my OfficeJet G55 and the computer recognized it. I added it to my printer utility thing and everything seemed to be fine. But whenever I try to print something it just doesn't print. The computer doesn't display any sort of error or anything. For instance, if I try to print something in Preview, the job pops up for a brief second in my printer program (whatever its called) and then disappears, and it just says printer ready. The printer is plugged in through a USB port. What should I do?

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Are you on Lion? If so, search lots of posts where the G55 doesn't work with Lion due to its age.

3. Baloney1011, Dec 10, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2011

Baloney1011 thread starter macrumors member

Wow, no hope at all? Hey, that reminds me of that Mac vs. PC ad where the PC goes "If Vista isn't compatible with your printer, I say, buy a new printer." So ironic.

4. wpotere Guest

That is the way the computer industry works. If a product is old they will stop development of new drivers for it and the older items will start to stop working. Many times the older drivers will function at a limited capacity but sometimes, as in this case, they just don't work. It isn't a MS or Apple thing, it is a we don't want to spend money developing on old products thing. It also makes you spend money....

5. visim91 macrumors 6502

Yeah, in this situation there is no irony as the fault lies with the printer company for essentially "giving up" that particular line of printers to make way for shiny black new ones. Ask me why: to make more money.

6. Thnkdifferent macrumors member

Thnkdifferent

Your ink for the G55 is most likely more expensive then getting a new printer anyway.

7. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I agree buy a new printer. Staples and most office stores will give you $50 towards a new one. Also HP.com will give you money towards a new one.

I like having the wireless printing. So that I won't have to plug my MBP into it. Also, I can tuck it away giving more space on my desk.

Make sure when you plugged it in that you used the software that your Mac found on the web. I find using the disk that came with the printer a little doggy.

8. Baloney1011 thread starter macrumors member

It most certainly is. I said, the printer/scanner functions perfectly on Windows 7. It should also function perfectly on Lion. Mercedes doesn't give up support for cars that it made thirty years ago. Why should computers be different?

9. Thnkdifferent macrumors member

Thnkdifferent

Are you comparing a $100 printer to a Mercedes?

10. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Uhm, of course Mercedes gives up support for 30 years old cars. Have you ever tried to get original replacement parts for an old car?

Also, if gas stations would sell a new kind of fuel every other year that requires an upgrade to the engine, I dare you to find a manufacturer that would upgrade your machine for free.

11. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Just so you know, HP support for the Mac OS really lags. I think they gave up on this printer about two operating systems ago.

If you decide to get another, I'd go with Brother or Canon instead. And check the history of support for operating systems before you buy so you don't end up with a quickly deprecated printer (all-in-ones seem to suffer this more quickly in my experience).

I'd suggest you look into print sharing via the PC; maybe that'll work.

12. Baloney1011 thread starter macrumors member

Okay, well, I guess I'm keeping the free Epson NX430 that I got with my MBP (Apple's printer promotion). I wanted to sell it, but...

13. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Those ads are really biased. The truth is both sides have issues and baggage. The G5s received very little in the way of bug fixes and stuff from Apple once the Intel machines came out, with support almost entirely gone by 2008, even though many things didn't even support Intel natively (as in not through Rosetta) until 2007. It happens, but claims of segmentation with Vista are entirely hypocritical. Windows has started to turn around as of Windows 7. If Bill Gates is actually returning, I think they'll be fine.

14. Baloney1011 thread starter macrumors member

He's returning?! Since when??

15. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1289582

I don't see this as a bad thing. The guys at Microsoft need do need to retain their jobs. Whenever companies that large encounter problems, the economy really feels it.

16. wpotere Guest

Not sure what planet you live on but yes, they do. Mercedes can get parts for them but they don't manufacture them any longer. I guess, to make more money isn't a good enough answer for you.

So no, it is not an Apple/MS thing, it is a you need to get a new printer thing.

:rolleyes:

17. Baloney1011 thread starter macrumors member

I never said it was a bad thing! I think it's a great thing!