Help! Can't re-install Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by miggity, Apr 13, 2008.

1. miggity macrumors newbie

I goofed.

A friend recently gave me her macbook that she received "as is" (meaning she does not have any of the supporting discs or documentation) and asked me to "clean it out."

Naturally I decided to reformat it and re-install with my Leopard disc that I have for my Macbook. When I tried to restart her Macbook with the Leopard disc I got the message, "This software cannot be installed on this Mac" or something like that. I thought that erasing the entire hard drive would help, but it didn't.

I did some research, and found out that her macbook is a model 3,1 and mine is a 2,1. The question is now...is there ANY way I can restore her mac without going to the store and buying a retail Leopard disc? I should not have erased her hard drive before finding this all out but i had previously reformatted my macbook pro with this same Leopard disc, so I didn't think it was going to be such a problem.

Please help, any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

you could clone your drive onto hers via target disk mode just to get her running again, but this is in violation of the EULA.

other than that, you'll need a retail disc