HELP! Can't reinstall OS

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by BrendonSG, Aug 12, 2013.

1. BrendonSG macrumors newbie

My macbook retina kept restarting itself so I decided to do a clean re-install of the OS.

I managed to get to the point where it is installing additional files for the OS and at the end of the process, the laptop just restarts itself and a ''question mark'' folder awaits me.

Can someone tell me how do i get my OS back? :(

2. madmacfan macrumors 6502

How exactly did you reinstall the OS. Was it done by using a bootable usb or did you use the recovery partition? As far as i know Retina MBP'S came with ML pre installed, so if problems arise with the os you can normally fix these by reinstalling through the recovery partition. Hold down the left option on startup just after the boot chime and you'll be presented with the boot options, from there you should be able to either select ML manually or enter the recovery partition. if the ML partition shows up, try booting into that first, if that works, wait to you get to the desktop, go into system preferences and click on startup disk. ensure the ML partition is selected and then the mac will reboot. if you're not able to boot into ML using the boot options, click on the recovery partition and reinstall from there.

3. BrendonSG, Aug 12, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2013

BrendonSG thread starter macrumors newbie

So you're saying that the OS is actually installed just that my laptop doesnt know where to find it and I have to use the boot option? I reinstalled it by cmd+R, so yeah it should be via the recovery partition.

Thanks for being the first to reply btw.

This is my current situation

4. madmacfan macrumors 6502

Yes, My feeling is that your mac cannot find the os, hence the question mark appearing. Check the boot options by holding down the left option key just after you hear the boot chime, keep the option key held down for a few seconds until you can see the boot options. You don't need to use CMD+R. If the ML partition shows up first then click on that, if you get no joy, reboot the mac, go back to the boot options as said above and enter the recovery partition.

5. BrendonSG thread starter macrumors newbie

Doesn't seem to work for me with madmacfan suggestions. :(

Anyone else would like to have a go at what went wrong?

More suggestions/advices are certainly welcome.

Btw, is this thread suppose to be in the macbook pro forum instead of macbook?

6. madmacfan macrumors 6502

Are you Able to get into the recovery partition at all? If so, go into the recovery partition, open up disk utility, click on the affected volume on the left and see if you can repair the disk.