Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nhpl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
Hi everyone,

I just bought my first iPhone. It is jailbreak & unlocked. And I did a reset on the phone, it was dead stuck. So I tried to restore it back, I did 3,4 times but every times it says " The iphone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1015)".

Can anyone help me please please??? I got so frustrated I don't know what to do.

Thank you!

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
It would be help if you can tell us more about your Iphone. Is it a 2g, 3g, 3gs or Iphone 4 and which firmware & baseband you have on it before you have this problem. Base on these infos, we might be able to give us advise.

nhpl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
Hi,

It's a 3g 16gb. The one sold it to me said it is jailbroken 4.2.1. So it would be 4.2.1 firmware, right? I don't know about baseband.

Thank you!

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
Most likely you have a an Ipad baseband installed because it was jailbroken/unlocked and your phone has IOS4.2.1.

Why don't you download tiny umbrella to your computer and use it to kick it out of recovery mode or fix the 1015 error? let's start with it first.

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
Use can use TinyUmbrella to kick it out of recovery but if you do that it'll be in a constant bootloop.

You'll need a custom 4.2.1/6.15.00 ipsw for the 3G to restore again. Then use TinyUmbrella.

nhpl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
Crystal & Boereman: it's not working.

PsstGreek: Can you give me a step by step instruction, please? Where do I get a custom 4.2.1/6.15.00 ipsw? And I think I may not know to to use TinyUmbrella correctly. Please help because I'm so new to this.

Thank you very much for helping guys!!!

DramaKing

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2010
Error 1015 could be related to a newer baseband/modem firmware than you current iOS. You could try installing the 4.3 beta.

nhpl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
Try youtube:D

EDIT: Did you get the green screen before you tried to restore?

.. still looking for where to download that custom 4.2.1/6.15.00 ipsw..

Yes, I got that green screen, I continue to restore but iTunes pop out another error.

nhpl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
Thank you so much!!!

@Boereman: I'm sorry. I forgot the error code.

nhpl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
If you're getting error 6015 then you've got a bit of hardship in store as I did. Took me about 7 attempts using iReb, RecBoot and the 4.1 IPSW.
I just realised that you need to use the 4.1 IPSW with iReb.
Forgot to tell you.

Oh, I was trying it again & the error code is 1611.
Thank you, I'll try that 4.1 Ipsw, see if it works...

...still downloading that custom 4.2 ... it takes forever to download...

Boereman

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2011
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
The 4.2 IPSW is not a custom one, you do not need a custom one.
You will need to use redsn0w to install BB 6.15

I presume youre using windows?
If so, then follow this guide to fix the 1611 error and make sure you have permissions to edit files in the windows directory.

EDIT: You will loose GPS functionality when you flash to the 6.15 BB

Last edited:

nhpl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
I fixed the 1611 error, now I'm using redsn0w.... but what do I do next?

Boereman

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2011
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Find the IPSW you used for redsn0w and then click next, select Install iPad base band (and enable home screen wallpaper if you want) and click next. follow the instructions and it will then download the iPad BB from the apple servers. The file is around 15MB. Just let it finish and you should be home free

nhpl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
It's frozen now for some reason... On redsn0w, it says "uploading ramdisk" and my iPhone screen, it's dark plan w/ nothing...
Did I do something wrong?

nhpl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
OMG!! It works finally!!! Thank you so much for all your help guys!! I'm so happy!!!

Last edited:

santie

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2011
The reason Redsnow gets stuck is because it is not being run in "Windows XP SP2" compatibility mode. Right click redsnow.exe->properties->compatibility and select "windows xp sp2" and it should work fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.