help! can't transfer files from camera to mac

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by nicoleasks, Feb 20, 2012.

1. nicoleasks macrumors newbie

I have a Canon PowerShot A590 and a Macbook Pro with Lion 10.7.3.

I installed the Canon software from the installer CD with no apparent problems (although I did a custom install and declined the PhotoStitch program).

It isn't working. I tried reformatting the memory card (from within the camera) but it didn't do anything.

When I connect the camera to my Mac, the CameraWindow utility opens and sometimes says "No camera was found," sometimes just opens and closes without saying anything, and sometimes closes then opens CameraWindowDC which says "failed to initialise program" (although behind this message there's a window and in that window I can see the picture on my camera!). MyCamera function "isn't supported by the connected camera." None of the other programs that installed with the CD do anything.

Suggestions? Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

3. snberk103 macrumors 603

It's possible that the SW that came with the camera need to be updated to work Lion. Check Canon's website to see if there is an updated version.

However, if iPhoto is where the images are going to be going in the end, then take simsaladimbamba's good advice and see if iPhoto can import the photos. It saves a step in the end.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I've had this with a couple of compacts...As posted, remove the card and insert it into your mac, works every time for me on troublesome cameras. They don't all work via the USB cable.

5. Designer Dale, Feb 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2012

Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

If you go through the Canon software update site you should be able to find a Lion updater for this, but why bother? As has been mentioned, iPhoto came on your Mac and will manage your photos and videos just fine for you. Most of us in this forum don't use USB cables to link our cameras to our computers. I have a USB reader for my SD cards and never touched the canon software that shipped with my camera.

Dale

6. nicoleasks thread starter macrumors newbie

Hooray! This worked perfectly, thank you.

----------

One more question: in iPhoto, my camera shows up as a Device in the toolbar on the left. When I "right-click" on it (two-fingered click) I have the option to "unmount." Is this the same as a safe disconnect, or is this something else? I mean, when I'm all done and want to disconnect my camera, should I unmount it, or should I just turn it off and pull the plug (which is what I had been doing). Thank you!

7. WRP macrumors 6502a

Even though you got it to work you may still want to install the new software from Canon. For their EOS bodies, the utility didn't work until recently on Lion.

Yes, always unmount it.

8. LiesForTheLiars macrumors regular

Yes, that's the same as a safe disconnect. Always eject your devices before unplugging them.

9. nicoleasks thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again for your help, everyone. I am in the habit of always ejecting but because the camera doesn't show up where all my other devices do (in the Finder on my Mac, and in the bottom-right tool bar on my PC), I thought maybe it was an exception. But not anymore! :) Thank you.

@WRP I never used the Canon software, not even on my old PC. All I wanted it for was being able to move my pictures from the camera to the Mac, which I can now do. Is there something I'm not thinking of though?

10. LiesForTheLiars macrumors regular

By the way, in the beta preview of mountain lion, you don't need iPhoto as the only import option. An import window now appears that allows you to instantly copy photos to wherever you wish. I find it rather convenient since I don't always want my photos in iPhoto.

11. WRP macrumors 6502a

No. Since you're not shooting RAW I assume iphoto has any editing tools you will need. I wasn't thinking it was a point and shoot camera. Disregard my comment. :D