Help, Cant turn my Macbook pro off

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MonikaP, Jun 18, 2010.

1. MonikaP macrumors newbie

So everytime I try to turn my macbook pro off by clicking the shut down button it does the usual turning all software off and then going to the desktop with the dashbord going away and the little circle coming up but it just stays like that forever until I force it off by pressing down the power button.

What should I do? I just got this laptop around 6 months ago

2. segers909 macrumors regular

3. MonikaP thread starter macrumors newbie

4. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Repairing permissions is the nostrum suggested when no one knows what to do. Sometimes it "works" but if enough people do it often enough it'll coincide with the problem being fixed some other way or even just going away.

Anyway, something appears to be stopping the shutdown and you need to see what it is.

Try this. Shut down like you normally do, note the time, then restart. Immediately go to Console (command-space, type Console) and look at the system.log for anything logged at your shut down time.

5. computergeek macrumors member

go to disk utilites and select your hard disk on the left then go to the first aid tab and click the repair disk permissions on the bottom left side

[​IMG]

6. MonikaP thread starter macrumors newbie

I havent had time to do all this yet but can someone show me a step by step? Also lately the mouse seems to be jumping as well. Im so worried :(

7. MonikaP thread starter macrumors newbie

Will me doing that delete anything on the hard disk?

8. JacaByte macrumors 6502

Not unless something goes wrong during the permissions check, e.g. kernel panic or system crash.

9. MonikaP thread starter macrumors newbie

i did the disk repair thing and its still the same!
    this only happens after the laptops been on four a couple of hours, the mouse starts jumping and i cant turn it off normaly....im starting on panic now

10. I'mAMac macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

Open up Activity Monitor and see if there are any unusual programs running. Quit all the programs that you normally use (Safari, mail, whatever). There might be a random rogue program that is causing this.

11. MonikaP thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok I tried the repair disk and looking at activity monitor and nothing helps

My mouse thing is starting to jump around as well now.
    This only happens when I have the laptop on for more than an hour or two befire that its fine its like when it gets too hot it gets like this

12. I'mAMac macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

13. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Reinstall osx. This sounds like a typical software issue more than hardware. Before you let the Mac geniuses tear apart your computer, it's worth a try.