Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

videoterrorist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2007
I hope someone can help on this one....

I had 2 HD's in my Power Mac G5 one with the OS etc on, the other empty. The second is a 250GB, the first a 60GB. I therefore downloaded and ran Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the first onto the second. I ran it yesterday and all seemed fine. All the OS and file structure (and its contents) copied fine.

I then restarted the machine by selecting the 250GB disk through startup disk.
I then was greeted by a No Entry icon instead of the apple at startup.

I've Restarted off the OS disk (10.5) and ran Disk Utility and Verified and checked all the permissions (which takes an age). Again all seems fine. But then it wont restart! The first smaller harddrive also now has a locked icon on it and will not boot. When I perform the Permissions Verfiy on this drive it give the error "The underlying task reported failure on exit".

HELP.......

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Is there any messages in the CCC console log?

When selecting the target disk, did it say that it would be bootable? When setting up the partition you need to make sure its the correct partition type, for 10.5 and up you need to use GUID partition type.

videoterrorist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2007
Yeah it said the second drive would be bootable. As far as I know the partitions were fine and the correct type. When I run the Permission Verify on the Second drive it seems that nearly all of them have problems. And it takes 2-3 hours to run, then the same to repair them.

I've tried booting from the second drive, and it now tries to boot (Apple logo, spinning loading wheel) then then restarts itself and does it again after 5 minutes.

I Have tried taking the second drive out and putting it in another G5 and it recognises it and mounts and works properly.

The log doesn't show anything.

The permissions issue pretty much always says "ACL found but not expected on..."

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Sounds like maybe your second HD may be having issues. What does the smart status show in the disk utility for that drive? Did you try to format the drive and install a clean version of OSX on it, as opposed to a cloned image.

videoterrorist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2007
The SMART status says its OK, and the fact the it mounts fine in other machines, makes me think hopefully its fine.

The drive was formatted prior to cloning.

Maybe I can try reinstalling the First drive with a clean OS and copy the work from the Second drive onit and setup the same file structure myself ??

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Suggest trying this.

Boot from your install DVD.

Open Disk Utilities and Repair Permissions until all is good (No Changes) on your internal HD (60GB). Run once again to verify there are no changes. Then Repair the Disk until all is good (no changes). Run once again to verify there are no changes.

Boot to your 60GB HD.

Open Disk Utilities and do a secure erase on your 250GB HD. Then format the HD.

Then run Repair Disk on your 250GB HD to make sure that it's good.

Then try running Carbon Copy Cloner and clone your 60GB to your 250GB HD.

After the clone has been completed, reboot and hold down the ALT key to select the 250GB HD to verify that your cloned HD is good.

Notes:

1. CCC can get confused if you have issues with the disk structure, so always check your HD before cloning. Sometimes just a minor error can cause the cloned HD not to boot correctly even though it appears to be a good clone.

2. I clone on a weakly basis. I have three backups. I boot from my most recent one. Run Disk Utilities and Repair Permissions and Repair the internal Hard Drive. Then I shut down. Remove my most recent Cloned HD. Replace with the oldest one. Then start up to my internal HD. Then I do a secure erase of the external (oldest clone) HD. Once done, I turn off my networking. (I have a location that connects to nothing and I select it.) Reboot, then run CCC. After the clone is completed to the external HD, I boot to the external HD to make sure it works. Granted this is a few steps. But my clones work every time with no issues. FWIW, my clones are about 450GB in size. YMMV.

videoterrorist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2007
Hi Sushi,

I would run a permissions check on the 60GB drive, but everytime I try it gives the error "The underlying task reported failure on exit". All I can do to it is Verify it, which claims there are no problems. The disk icon for that drive also has the 'locked' icon next to it, which I have no idea why or how to unlock it.

If I boot at the minute holding Alt it shows both the 60GB and 250GB drives, but then wont load either when selected.

videoterrorist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2007
I've just tried Booting the machine as a target drive on my laptop.
Both of the drives mount and have all their files intact.

If I 'Get Info' on the First 60GB drive, the access Priviledges are all set to 'Custom' (which I've never seen before) and I'm unable to change them to Read/Write. If I try double clicking the drive it says I do not have sufficient access priviledges.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
I would try this:

1. Shut down your PM G5.

2. Remove the 250GB HD.

3. Boot the computer using the 60GB HD.

4. Shut down your PM G5.

5. Boot from the install DVD, then using Disk Utilities try to Repair Permissions on the 60GB HD.

Let me know what happens when you do this.

videoterrorist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2007
I've removed the 250GB and tried booting from the 60GB, but it only gets as far as the Apple logo & the spinning loading wheel.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Try booting from the install DVD, and then launching Disk Utilities and try Repairing Permissions and Repairing the HD.

If you can't do this. Then my guess is that there are either hardware issues with your 60GB HD or there are issues with the install on your 60GB HD.

I would then do the following:

1. Go to Target Disk Mode and copy your files to your laptop.

2. While in Target Disk Mode, using Disk Utilities, secure erase the 60GB HD.

3. Shut down your PM G5 and disconnect from your laptop.

4. Boot using the install DVD and do a clean install of the system on the 60GB HD.

5. At this point, I would check the HD again via booting from the install DVD and running Disk Utilities to Repair Permissions and Repair the HD. If it works, then it may have just been an issue with the old install on your 60GB HD. If it doesn't, then more than likely you have a hardware issue either with the 60GB HD or the Logic Board.

Note:

1. There are other utility applications that you can use to trouble shoot your 60GB HD, but by the time you spend the funds on them, you can just purchase a new larger HD and install it.

2. As I mentioned above, there is a possibility that your HD is okay, but instead your Logic Board is going bad -- or the HD part of the Logic Board is going bad. Been there got the T-Shirt a couple of times on different Macs that I've owned. Without professional test equipment, it's really hard to diagnose. If you get a new HD and then have problems, that will pretty much determine that the Logic Board has issues.

videoterrorist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2007
I still cant run the Permissions verify, as it still winges about an "underlying failure on exit"

The whole point of this exercise was to copy the 60GB onto the 250GB, as I'd run out of space, and didn't really need the 60GB anymore, as the 250 would give me more than enough space.

So I don't really need the 60, I just needed to get all of the files and folder structures off in their entirity. But the 250 wont boot now either, even though it has all the files and everything in place.

I'm currently running the Permissions Verify on the 250, which is apparently going to take about 2 hrs.

Am I best in reinstalling the 60 from Scratch, copying the files etc onto it, then cloning it. Or just reinstall the 250 and copy the files onto that.

This machine lives in my work office, where it has to talk to a PC, and the reason for cloning was to ensure the 250 would be indentical and therefore work seemlessly.

ahhh the joys of computers :)

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
I still cant run the Permissions verify, as it still winges about an "underlying failure on exit"
This generally means that the file structure has issues.

But it can also mean that your HD or Logic Board is going bad. Hard to tell with the info you've provided. However, a PM G5 is a few years old, so a HD failure would not be unusual.

I'm currently running the Permissions Verify on the 250, which is apparently going to take about 2 hrs.
Repairing Permissions should not take that long. This definitely indicates that you may have an issue that is hardware related.

How sure are you that the 250GB HD is good?

Am I best in reinstalling the 60 from Scratch, copying the files etc onto it, then cloning it. Or just reinstall the 250 and copy the files onto that.
I think that it is safe to say that due to the problems with your 60GB HD (hardware or install), you will not be able to clone it to the 250GB HD in it's current state.

You could purchase software like Drive Genius 2, for example, and try to fix the 60GB HD. There are other tools as well such as Tech Tools Pro. And if you have a PC handy, you can use SpinRite which has save numerous HDs for me.

If you can fix the HD using these tools, then I would expect you to be able to clone to the 250GB.

But each of these tools cost $.

If you have your files on the 250GB HD, then I would leave it alone for now. If your 60GB HD is having issues, it might just fail at anytime and you would loose your files.

Instead I would purchase a new HD to do a clean install on it. Then try using Migration Assistant to move files and settings from your 250GB HD to your new HD.

CodeRaven

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2008
Florida
If you go the tools route, consider Disk Warrior. It has saved my rear on numerous occasions.

Good luck getting all this pinned down and fixed.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
If you go the tools route, consider Disk Warrior. It has saved my rear on numerous occasions.

Good luck getting all this pinned down and fixed.

Good catch.

Here's a list of tools that I've used. They are listed in no particular order:
  • TechTools Pro
  • Drive Genius 2
  • Disk Warrior II
  • SpinRite (Requires a PC to use.)

As for fixing low level issues with the drive surface, SpinRite can't be beat. The others are more focused at fixing directory and file issues, plus recovery of files.

OP, the error that you've been receiving might be fixed by one of these tools. If so, that's great!

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.