Help catching a thief!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by MagGus, Mar 16, 2012.

1. MagGus macrumors newbie

Not sure this is the correct thread but it is digital video related...

Ok yesterday I had my apartment burglarized. The back door was smashed to bits but the thief didn’t do much other damage. He did however steal my macbook and ipad, among a few other stuff.

Here is what I need help with. I had just installed a security cam and it got the guy on tape, unfortunately my wife managed to hang the washing infront of the camera so the image is really poor.

Can anyone have a go at optimizing the video? I tried myself and it was a bit too blurry to be of much use.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14523320/incident%204959/entry.avi

Much appreciated.

/Mag

Oh by the way, the "find my mac" worked great and I got a really good location of it. I just need a better picture to hand over to the police…

2. Babybandit macrumors regular

ENHANCE!

Kidding aside, I would definitely give this to the Cops to deal with it.

3. MagGus thread starter macrumors newbie

update

Ok the Police got it and they actually had an idea of who it could be... guess the pretty much exact location of the MacBook helped.

4. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

lol! First thing I thought of; I love how on TV, vga video suddenly becomes ultra high-def and telescopic on command.

5. WRP, Mar 16, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2012

WRP macrumors 6502a

The problem is the only 2 frames that have no motion blur (ie he is barely moving) he is mostly covered. It may help the police but there is no CIS way to make this work any better than the video you already have.

Besides, the guy isn't going to keep the laptop. He is going to sell them to someone or a pawn shop. Just have the cops find my mac, get it back from whomever has it via location and then your serial number and be done with it.

EDIT - and I'm a bit late.

6. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Just apply a bitmap algorithm, zoomify, and enhance :p

7. MagGus thread starter macrumors newbie

Man, thats exactly what I was looking for! now where is the apply button...

I do have insurance, backup and it is supposedly remotely wiped so I am not too bothered really. He appears to live in the neighborhood though so I would prefer to get him off the street for a while atleast.

8. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

My serious response: talk to the police, show them your footage, and hope for the best. I wish you luck, these scum deserve to be locked up.

9. handsome pete macrumors 68000

10. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

11. handsome pete macrumors 68000

Yeah, it's like the writer was coming up on his deadline and just googled "computer terminology" to spruce up the dialog a bit.

12. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Not as bad as this Dan Brown thing I read before though, it included many atrocities such as: "They hacked the X11 firewall!" :rolleyes:

I wouldn't even mind but the book was about computers and encryption, you'd think he'd do at least a little research wouldn't you? :rolleyes:

13. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I was horrified until I realized it was a joke and not a real show lol.

Mine too! Seriously these people need to do a little research before including such atrocities in the script. (Is VB even used anymore??? I haven't used it since 2001!).

14. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

what 704/720x480 can magically turn into 4k. I wonder if they are using iMovie on the iPad to enhance the image

15. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

If you haven't seen it yet, the Let's Enhance video on YouTube is a riot.

Lethal

16. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

hahaha awesome