Help!!! Changed Account Name!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macuser1232, Aug 20, 2012.

1. macuser1232 macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

I need help!!! I was trying to change my Mac's account name so it would just have my first name. First I went to System Preferences. Then I went to Users and Groups. Then Login Options. Then i clicked join and open directory utility. After that, I changed the NFSHomeDirectory name from /Users/adamLASTNAME to /Users/adam and then reauthenticated it. Now I logged of my Mac and all my stuff is gone! Everything! The only thing left is my applications but most of them won't open up!! Please Help!!!

2. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

I suppose this is the part where your answer to "Do you have any time machine backups?" is no?

3. macuser1232 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

Correct. Should I try repairing Disk Permissions?

----------

Also my Mail application won't start up

4. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Repairing permissions won't help you.

The problem is that you changed the user record to look at /Users/adam but you didn't change the actual path to your home directory.

The simplest way to fix this AND get the intended result.

• Boot into Recovery Mode (Command and R keys while booting)
    • Select Utilities > Terminal
    • Type the following into Terminal, very carefully:

Code:
    rm -R /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Users/adam
    Code:
    mv /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Users/adamLASTNAME /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Users/adam
    Code:
    resetpassword
    Choose the Restore Home Directory Permissions and ACLs option. Follow the prompts.

5. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

It assumes the opposite of what you have done. That you have renamed the home folder. You have changed the reference in the user record, but not the actual name of the folder.

Looks pretty dated as well.

6. macuser1232 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

Well I just had another person advise that I go to that website. Which should I do??? I mean right now I in my Users folder I have two home folders. My old one, and the new one.

7. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

I suggest you do what I wrote above. It will be cleaner and there will be no side effects.

8. macuser1232, Aug 20, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2012

macuser1232 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

So do I replace the Macintosh HD Library folder with the Macintosh HD/Users/adam/Library?

9. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

No. Stop reading that other article immediately.

Start doing what I suggested above.

10. macuser1232 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

what do I do after I enter in resetpassword in the terminal? I haven't started doing it yet cause I have to write the code down first.

11. simsaladimbamba

Please do as calderone suggested, he actually knows what he is talking about. ;)

me, I just stopped to look helpful, while actually going to the permissions repair center at sacred hart hospital homes.

12. macuser1232 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

Nevermind about what I said about the Macintosh HD. The real problem is that I can't get access the Library folder that is in my old User account(adamLASTNAME). I can only view the Library folder in the new account(adam)

13. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

It will actually just pop up a new window.

Select that window, choose your new username (adam) and click the Reset button on the bottom.

14. macuser1232 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

Ok. I chose Restore Home Directory Permissions and ACLs. It has a button that says done in the bottom right corner but it is grayed out. Should I go to the apple logo and restart?

15. macuser1232 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

It worked!!!! Thank you so much!!! I don't know how to thank you! I feel like I need to pay you!! Once again MacRumors and it's awesome people help me in a life-threatening situation!!

16. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

You're very welcome!

17. macuser1232 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

So no side affects? Also, for future references, what are the differences between Record name and NFSHomeDirectory?

18. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

There should be no side effects. What you have now is:
    A properly configured user (check the values in System Preferences) and
    a home directory with the proper permissions and path.

Account name (Record name) is the shortname of your user, the human read-able version of your user record.

NFSHomeDirectory stores the location of your home directory.

What you did was change the Record Name and NFSHomeDirectory, but you did not change the location of the home directory itself. As such, you ended up with a brand new home directory.

There isn't really a super clean way to handle this task, unfortunately it does take knowledge of the command line. While you could handle this within say Finder, the permissions structure of the home directory is a bit more complex and requires additional power and/or tools (Reset Password Utility).

19. macuser1232 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

How do I do this?
    So what if I change only one of those names. Like what if I just change the NFSHomeDirectory?

20. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

If you were to just change NFSHomeDirectory you would also need to change the name of the underlying folder on the drive.

You *could* just change the Record Name, permissions are actually determined by the User ID (not the shortname), so you could login with the new shortname and your home folder would be unchanged.

21. macuser1232 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

Hm. I don't think I can do that now. What my objective was, was to make finder and terminal and activity monitor to say adam. But, Finder to say adamLASTNAME. I don't know it's not much of a problem. It's probably best to have the NFSHomeDirectory name and the Record name to be both your first name. Am I correct?

22. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

It won't hurt and I personally prefer it that way.

23. macuser1232, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2012

macuser1232 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

Hey. I have noticed my fans running a lot more than they used to. Also my IP to my computer when I'm connected to my wifi changed. Any thoughts?

24. simsaladimbamba

Open Activity Monitor and select All Processes and then sort by CPU to show you the process(es) slowing down your Mac or speeding up your fan(s) or causing more heat.