HELP! -Changed Admin User and now my iTunes library and iPhoto poofed!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacPossum, Aug 3, 2007.

1. MacPossum macrumors 6502

MacPossum

I changed the name of my Home folder to something else, then I changed the name of my user account. When I logged out and logged back on, my iTunes library was gone. I don't understand what happened? I think it's still on my hard disk because i still have the same amount of space. How would I recover this?

Everything seems to be here except for my pictures and music. I was trying to set this PowerMac up for my parents and change everything into their name but now I've gone and basically deleted all there stuff... or lost it some how.

edit: Live and learn I guess. Was stupid of me to try to mess with things I didn't really understand. I ended up losing some pictures, and probably $15 worth of iTunes music. Safari reset as well all of my preferences. It could have been a lot worse. Thank God for iPods is all I have to say.

2. MacPossum thread starter macrumors 6502

MacPossum

Actually it's looking like I am able to find the pictures on the computer, but they arn't in my iPhoto library. Is there a way to just undo everything I just did in the last 10 minutes?

3. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

If you know where the files are located, hold down the, err...control key while clicking iTunes or iPhoto (I think it is control) and it will bring up a pop up asking you if you want to create new library or open new library. Click open, find the files and BOOM! Everything is back in the app.

I can't test it right now, on PC :mad::(

4. MacPossum thread starter macrumors 6502

MacPossum

I have no idea where my music went, but like I said, the same amount of hard disk space is used as before I melted my libraries.

5. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Running Tiger? Just spotlight iTunes, in the finder, it will show you the path. Don't have tiger, um..can you search? GoodLuck!

6. MacPossum thread starter macrumors 6502

MacPossum

Yes, I'm running 10.4.10 but it's not showing *any* music in my iTunes or any folders pertaining to iTunes.

7. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Oh, wow, um, have you tried searching the name of one of the songs or artists?

8. MacPossum thread starter macrumors 6502

MacPossum

Amazing what a restart will do. I renamed all of my stuff back to what it was before, now in my user folder I'm able to see all of my old stuff, even my old desktop. Anyways it looks like I've found it all now I guess i just have to wait for it all to import back.. 4000 songs in my library :( going to take a while but at least it's all here.. I hope.

Edit: Apprently 2000 songs arn't there anymore, and whatever I just did to itunes, my hard disk just lost 10 gigs of data. Oh well, I had most of them on my iPod.

9. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

There is a document on Apple's website explaining how to get out of this situation and I think claim back your stuff, providing it's not too late.

10. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member