HELP! Changed permission setting

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Peanutbutter7, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Peanutbutter7 macrumors newbie

Yes, i'm an idiot. i was looking at how much memory i had left because i'm starting school tomorrow and i saw something that said something about another party read only or write only and i changed it so only i (administrator) had access.

i'm on a macboox pro, snow leopard. can someone PLEASE help me fix this? i have a class in like 6 hours and have no idea how to fix it! Thank yo in adavance i'm seriously desperate.

I'm sorry - now iwhen i turn it on it goes to blue screen - won't let me put my name in (doesn't even show the box). all ic an do is turn it on or hold the power button to make it turn off.

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

start up your computer holding the command key and the S key.

Then once you get a prompt type
    Code:
    sudo fsck -fy /

3. Peanutbutter7 thread starter macrumors newbie

I REALLY apprciate your help TLJ - what do I do then? Also, forgive me for asking - but what will that do? I ask because I am (obviously) not a computer person. I'm a painter and my extent of experience with computers is uploading pictures and typing. Again I can't thank you enough for your help.

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Well the ambiguity in your post makes it hard to figure out which folders you changed the permissions on. restarting the computer holding S and the command key will start your machine in single user mode. This is a command line based mode.

The command I gave you will verify your disk making sure it's intact and repair permissions.

Actually, now that I think about it I'm not sure if it will repair permissions, although I am 90% certain. If someone else a little more advanced in OS X permission repair would like to help that would be wonderful.

OP, do you have your install disks that came with your computer? If so, you can boot up from the disk (insert the OS X disc and hold the C button on boot up). Then open up Disk Utility and click repair permissions.

5. Peanutbutter7 thread starter macrumors newbie

TLJ I do have the snow leopard disks! is that the best way? to turn it on and hold something to make it read the disk?

6. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Yeah, that is the best way to do it. At least, it should be the easiest.

7. Peanutbutter7 thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you for helping me tlj. it went through one round of fixing the permissions but didn't fix it. i tried again and it said it would take 18 minutes (first one was 8) so I'm giving it another round. i truly appreciate your help. have a good night/day.