Help changing hard drives.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by benhg, Jan 29, 2008.

1. benhg macrumors newbie

Hello.

I have just bought a new mac pro (it arrives in a week) and i went out today and bought 2 new hard drives. i want one of the new ones to be my startup disk, the other to be for timemachine, and i want to use the one that comes with the mac as a windows bootcamp drive.

i have watched a bunch of videos on you tube and dont think i will have any problems with the actual removal/installation of the physical drives but i do have questions regarding what order i do things in and how i format the new drives.

So my first question is how do i set up my new drive as the startup disk?
    This is how i assume i should do it but i could be completely wrong:
    1. install the 2 new drives into the mac pro
    2. format them for mac
    3. install leopard on 1 of the additional drives (so at this stage i have leopard installed on 2 drives - the one that came with the mac, and 1 of the new ones)
    4. open up mac and remove original hard drive
    5. place new hard drive with leopard in same drive bay as the drive i just removed

is that how i do it?

now how can i format the original mac pro drive for windows?

any help/advice would be great

thanks

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

What I would do is install the two new drives, use Disk Utility to format them for the Mac, then use Disk Utility to 'clone' the original drive to one of the new ones. Then you can use Disk Utility to erase the first one, and with Boot Camp you can reformat the original. Very very easy. To have the new HDD with Leopard as the boot disk, just go to System Preferences/Startup Disk, and select the drive that has Leopard on it. You'll be all set.

Any other questions?

3. benhg thread starter macrumors newbie