Help changing iPhoto download folder

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macminor, Jul 10, 2012.

1. macminor macrumors newbie

Hi Guys, hoping someone can help me out with this, searched the web and not found anything so...

Basically I have iPhoto set NOT to import photos to iPhoto library because I like to keep my photo library on my HD nice and organised.

However this causes me one major headache. I like to grab content on the fly from the web for inspiration and such for future photoshoots but when I add to iPhoto library in now saves these images into TemporaryItems inside my cache.

So is there any way I can force iPhoto (maybe with some kind of script??) to save to a pre selected folder inside my main library on my HD?

Thanks in advance!

2. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

Nope. Try Photoshop Elements instead.

3. robgendreau macrumors 68030

You didn't say how you "grab," but there are lots of alternatives to iPhoto.

You could even use Safari, just use the control-click to Save Image as... and put it wherever you like.

Or use Voila or LittleSnapper; they are designed to grab stuff off of web sites as screen captures, and have lots of organizational features. If you grab it to iPhoto it also makes each grab a separate event, which doesn't really help organizationally.

4. macminor thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I wanted to continue just dragging photos on to the iPhoto icon in the dock from chrome but you can't do this if you manage your own library folder. But it looks like I have found my own solution...which should hopefully help anyone else out with the same problem.

It's a work around but a good one I think...

In the Finder, navigate to your iPhoto Library file, which is typically in your user’s Pictures folder. Control-click on the folder and select Show Package Contents from the pop-up menu. In the new window that opens, you’ll see a folder named Auto Import. Hold down Command and Option (which will force the Finder to create an alias) and then drag Auto Import to your Desktop or other convenient storage location. Make sure you see the small arrow icon on the folder while dragging; this indicates that the Finder will, in fact, create an alias when you drop the folder.
    More here...http://www.macworld.com/article/1139658/iphotoimport.html

I also dragged the original auto import folder onto the dock which I can now drag photos onto and it will automatically add the photos into iPhoto when you next open it. The only caveat with this method is that these photos will be automatically filed by iPhoto into it's own library so you can't manage them yourself. This isn't a big problem for me as this data isn't that important to me unlike my family photos etc.