Help changing unlocked iPad 3 Cell Data Plan

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Mike in SoCal, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Mike in SoCal macrumors newbie

I have an unlocked iPad 3 with expired AT&T Cell Data running iOS9.
    I want to register it to use Straight Talk Wireless for way less $$ and no overage charge if the data runs out. I've tried with two Straight Talk SIMs, a couple of long phone calls, and can't get it to work.
    I read "somewhere" that it might help if I delete / reset my WiFi Preferences and Passwords and try again.
    Now for my QUESTION. Since I have quite a few Passwords saved, but invisible to me, is there a way to re-load them from a back-up or do I need to re-enter them when I use the networks again?
    Please correct any errors I may have made.
    Thanks, Mike

2. rigormortis, Oct 14, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2015

rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

as long as straight talk provisioned the sim card correctly , and you turn off wifi, the cellular should work.

if this is a voice sim, then it probably won't work

you can put an ipad sim in a iPhone but you cant put an iPhone sim in an ipad

have you tried going to settings cellular and checking there?

what happens when you try and load a web page

erasing the iPads wifi passwords will erase them totally. you will need to restore from iTunes to get your passwords back. wifi passwords are pushed to your devices, but hey are not stored in iCloud keychain.

its probably not your network settings, its probably something wrong in the ipad cellular settings, like maybe the apn???

try resetting the sim card

turn off ipad
    eject sim card
    turn on ipad
    wait for ipad to boot up
    unlock ipad
    wait for home screen
    wait for no sim card
    insert sim

let it do its searching bit and maybe it will work

3. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

if you put an iPhone sim into an ipad or a sim card that was provisioned for a phone
    it confuses the ipad and it causes the ipad to go to the carriers landing page like
    mim.t-moile.com and prevents it from browsing web sites.

if you put an ipad sim in an iPhone, the iPhone can browse the web normally, but not make phone calls

4. Mike in SoCal thread starter macrumors newbie

<==============================================>

Thanks for your help, finally got the cell data to work through StraightTalk.,

Online directions weren't all that clear and since I also have my phone through ST and I wanted to keep the two under separate accounts, there was a conflict when I used the same contact phone number for both devises with different passwords and emails.

I'm happy now with my over-sized GPS now that vacation's starting.

Mike

5. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

do they give you mobile hot spot
    ??

6. Mike in SoCal thread starter macrumors newbie

No clue and as I have a 5 GB cell plan and no other portable devises, it doesn't matter.
    Mike