help changing windows partition icon

Discussion in 'macOS' started by theman, Nov 18, 2007.

1. theman macrumors 6502a

2. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

if you are running leopard than here is an easier method for you... stick in a usb stick in mac os x, and paste the icon you want your windows drive to be on the usb stick (copy your desired icon, right click get info on usb stick, select current icon in top left so its highlighted, paste desired icon)... then boot into windows, open the usb drive and set folder to show hidden files (tools > folder options > select view tab > select show hidden files and folders)... then drag .VolumeIcon.icns and ._ file into your c:/ .. then hide hidden files and folders in windows again then reboot into mac os x and see the nice new icon... (note this does not change the icon on the boot loader screen, if anyone knows how to do this let me know)

3. theman thread starter macrumors 6502a

cool, thanks. much simpler... i do kind of wish i could change the boot loader icon. it must be stored somewhere in OS X because changing the Macintosh HD icon changes the bootloader icon. Hmm...

4. theman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, i've been doing some googling and I see there is no way to change the bootloader screen. however, there are some bootloader replacement programs that you can customize.

here is one: http://refit.sourceforge.net/

and there's a thread about it here.

5. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

When I changed my Macintosh HD and Windows HD icons on my OS X desktop, my Macintosh HD icon automatically changed on the bootloader screen but the Windows icon did not. I don't know why because I formatted my Windows partition in FAT32 :confused:

6. theman thread starter macrumors 6502a

if you read through the forum i posted it explains it. it just simply doesn't work.

7. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

damn! :( (hoping that an OS X genius post a reply telling how to change the icon thats nestled into the firmware).

8. MikeTheVike macrumors regular

sorry about bumping an old thread, I used this method and it sort of works. It shows the default icon for .icns files on my windows partition instead of the windows graphic inside the file. Any ideas?