Help checking if RAM is installed

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by cstein, May 9, 2009.

1. cstein macrumors newbie

I just put in a 1GB memory upgrade in my ibook g4 1.2 ghz. How do I tell if it works?

2. magamo macrumors 6502

Use Activity Monitor at /Applications/Utility/ and see if your ibook recognizes the RAM. You might want to check it later when you're using other apps for your daily tasks and see if it's actually using the memory.

3. cstein thread starter macrumors newbie

more help

So the activity monitor shows a pie chart at the bottom that only shows 256 MG. that's how much is built into the computer. Does this mean the computer isn't reading the 1GB upgrade or am I looking at the wrong thing?

4. magamo macrumors 6502

If that number is right below the pie chart, I think your laptop currently has 256MB installed. You can also check the amount of RAM it has by clicking the Apple mark on the top left of the menu bar and choosing About This Mac, which should be the first on the list.

5. cstein thread starter macrumors newbie

more help

there's definetely 256mb built in. Should that number now say 1gb since I added the new RAM?

6. magamo macrumors 6502

Yes. If you installed a supported type of RAM properly into your ibook, it should show the amount you should currently have, not the default size. I guess there is a problem on your laptop or RAM, or you didn't installed it properly.

7. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Just click the Apple in the menubar, then "About this mac"

What does it say next to "memory?"

8. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

Well, if it didn't work, your computer wouldn't boot up. :p

9. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I was just thinking, it could only be partially inserted. The iBooks need a good push to get the DIMM into place in my experience.

10. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

Highly unlikely, the board requires the entire surface area to transmit data. The fact that it shows a full allocated amount (32, 64, 128, and in this case 256) adds to the coincidence.

11. magamo macrumors 6502

I'm guessing the OP wrongly re-installed the same RAM. I mean, he/she pulled out the stock memory, heard mom say it was lunch time, came back to work after lunch and inserted the old RAM assuming it was the new 1GB. Then he/she was like "Funny. Ma ibook doesn't run faster." and created a new account of this forum.

12. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

The iBook in question has 256MB soldered to the logic board...

The OP is trying to add 1GB to that with a new DIMM.