Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
Original poster
I am going out of town this summer and need a scratch disk for some editing I need to do (and perhaps a few games? :D )
Apparently, the world's HDD manufactures have dumped FireWire and warmly embraced USB 2.0.
My first question is... Is USB 2.0 sufficient speed for a scratch disk?
If not, can someone suggest a good 2.5" FW drive that is inexpensive (under $150 would be great)

Finally, How much space do you think I need? I have two big scratch disks at home, and the 2.5 would be more of a 'travel' disk for one or two projects and a small partition for windows games.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Lacie has some good refurbs if you're OK with USB in that price range:
100GB 5400RPM USB 2.0 Mobile, Designed by F.A. Porsche (RECON) - $149.99

That ain't too shabby, though I would just wait and see if any of their FW drives end up on there.

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
I've just ordered this from Macally, since I have a spare 60Gb 4200 notebook drive, after upgrading my wife's XP notebook HD.

Nice to have USB2 and Firewire connections - plus it'll allow daisy chaining, potentially to a video-camera for mobile capturing.

I've used both USB2 and Firewire for SD/mini-DV video capture, without any problems. I prefer firewire though, as it's supposed to manage bandwidth more effcientiently then USB2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.