help choosing a cam

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by paolo-, Mar 21, 2009.

1. paolo- macrumors 6502a

Aright, so I decided I want to buy a camera. I plan on starting a vlog in may, I also plan on shooting some bmx videos too.

So, the focus should be on the vlog, it'll be me talking and showing people how to make things. I think I'll be okay for the rest of the equipment, I already have a nice well light space with white walls, I'll add some DIYed lighting, I have a couple of mics so I should be able to mix something nice I also have booms and a tripod.

I plan on posting those on youtube/vimeo for the most part, so I think that getting a huge picture quality would be somewhat of a waste as it's going to get shrunk. I just want to have a good picture quality and vibrant colors.

Alright so here are the specs I think I'm looking for, do tell your opinion on it if you think I'm off :

Budget : ~400$
    I think putting the media on SD cards would be the best and cheapest option, also making the camera smaller
    External mic input
    Possibility to put a wide-angle lenses
    USB, I'm on a unibody macbook.

Things I'd like but not mandatory :
    good battery life
    shoot in low light

Please shoot ideas :)

2. Macpropro80 macrumors 6502

i think ever sony camcorder is USB and has the ability to attach external mics and lens's

3. paolo- thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I just checked the sony models and it seems only the 900+ models have an external mic plug. :(

4. Macpropro80 macrumors 6502

There mics get connected via there active shoe. (square thing on top) You have to use a sony mic, i do, they aren't half bad.

5. pigbat macrumors regular

I know you said in the $400 range but if you can stretch your budget I'd go with a Canon HF100. Its a pretty amazing cam for $500 and will likely be discounted a little more over the next few weeks.

6. paolo- thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wow that's quite a nice camera and quite a deal. I was looking at the fs100 earlier, witch is essentially the same model, only cheaper and standard def, and goes for $250...

I looked at sample shots from both and a few others and the hf100 is beautiful. I didn't think HD did that much of a difference.

Anyone have an idea how lower the price on the HF100 could get to ?