Help choosing a game that takes advantage of my system

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by kwarren, Sep 11, 2008.

1. kwarren Guest

I got my Mac Pro on Tuesday (dual 2.8GHz, 6GB RAM, 8800GT card), and I really want to find a game that will take full advantage of my new setup. What is the best game out right now? I tend to lean toward shooters, racing, and the odd strategy game.

BTW, on Amazon people are slamming Spore for the DRM. Why are so many reviewers so pissed?

Thanks for the help,

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

People are upset because it only allows you to reinstall 3 times, then you have to contact the company, and the question is "What happens when the company stops supporting the game, or goes out of business/is bought?"

It is one of those things, where the simple verification that you have the disc doesn't seem unreasonable anymore.

TEG

3. nick9191 macrumors 68040

No game will take advantage of all those cores. If you bought a Mac Pro for gaming, you made a bad choice, it is a workstation.

4. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

They're pissed because of the DRM. EA, the publisher of Spore, DRM'd the crap out of that game. You can only install it 3 times. After that, you're screwed. Well, you could call EA up and ask for a special code to install it a 4th time, but they ask you a bunch of questions like why you're reinstalling so much, etc. I wish I was making this crap up. Don't believe me (I wouldn't blame you)? Go look it up.

Plus, the game is pretty underwhelming.

5. kwarren thread starter Guest

I never meant to imply that I had bought the computer strictly as a gaming machine; of course I didn't. What I was asking was primarily advice on which Mac games out are decent.

Thanks,

6. Scooby_Doo macrumors member

Scooby_Doo

Check these out...

Probably worth your time to take a look at these games for your system:

Enemy Territory: Quake Wars

Supposedly will be released on September 15th, Call of Duty 4

EVE Online has solid graphics, or so I've heard.

There are a few interesting Open Source projects that might also make that system show of it's power, Sauerbraten and FreeSpace 2: Source Code Project are two I would recommend taking a gander at.

Other than that Mac gaming has been pretty quiet in 2008. You could always load up World of Warcraft and enjoy it maxed out on all settings.

Have you considered boot camp? There are some absolutely terrific games that would really take advantage of the hardware you have. Bioshock, Supreme Commander, Elder Scrolls IV, Crysis, Mass Effect, and GRID all come to mind.

Looking here will find some top PC games.

7. Scooby_Doo macrumors member

Scooby_Doo

8. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

And Unreal Tournament III will be coming out for Mac pretty soon, and that would look pretty nice on ur system.