Help choosing a macbook pro URGENT

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JackBunyan, Jul 10, 2016.

1. JackBunyan macrumors newbie

JackBunyan

Hi there I'm looking for a macbook pro for audio production. With my budget I can either get a newer (2014) Mac 13.3 " with i5 and 8gb or a 2012 Mac 15.4" with i7 and 8gb. What should I go for? Older and more powerful or newer and less?

Thanks in advance,
    Jack

2. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

I'd go with the 2012 15" model. The Quad core cpu is a big jump up especially for music production. If your buying used however, make sure to check your screen out and do the burn-in checkerboard test...I made the mistake of buying a used MacBook Pro 15" off craigslist and didn't give time to check for burn in, sure enough it had terrible burn in and I had to replace the screen myself. Personally if you can stretch the budget the 2013 models with the Iris Pro graphics are pretty solid. You get a nice bump in battery life, wireless AC, and little risk of burn in and display issues. (In another note...shame on Apple for not issuing a repair program on the lcd with burn in. My view of Apple has really gone done in the last 5 years...)

3. JackBunyan thread starter macrumors newbie

JackBunyan

Okay thank you I'll go for the 15" 2013 or newer, cheers for the swift reply!

4. mikzn macrumors 6502

mikzn

Agree with fenderbass146 - the i7 processor on the 2012 model is great and you can max out the memory for a reasonable price. You didn't mention the hard drives - but would suggest you add the cost of 500G ( or more) SSD for the 2012 if not already upgraded.

5. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Definitely the 15" 2012 model for the extra processing power.

6. mikzn macrumors 6502

mikzn

Also I should have added - unless you see a value of the HD screen ( I don't see the screen as an issue) - more processing power of the i7 and the faster HD upgrade to SSD will give you a super fast response for recording = less latency

7. JackBunyan thread starter macrumors newbie

JackBunyan

Sorry forgot to mention the 2012 has 256gb Ssd

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My 2012 rMBP is going strong, so I can vouch that its a great machine :)

I like the larger screen real estate that you get with the 15" over the 13" but that's a personal preference.