Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tjusafa14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2011
Hello again everyone, I don't post too often but I only do when I need some expert advice. So currently I have a USB 3.0 seagate 1.5TB GoFlex that seems that is about half full of media (movies, photos, iTunes library backups) and I would like to invest in a desktop RAID setup for data redundancy (RAID 1). I would like to get a Thunderbolt and/or USB 3.0 drive and I have been looking aroung and I have found these so far.

1. Western Digital Thunderbolt Duo 4TB
2. Lacie 2big Quadra USB 3.0 4TB (there is also a thunderbolt version)

My concerns are that I have seen on some threads here that Lacie drives have reliability issues and it has made me shy away from them a little. Also my other concern is that Thunderbolt will go the way of Firewire and will die out eventually. I would prefer that the drives have thunderbolt and USB 3.0 but I haven't found a RAID drive like that yet. Any help at all is appreciated!

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
Hello again everyone, I don't post too often but I only do when I need some expert advice. So currently I have a USB 3.0 seagate 1.5TB GoFlex that seems that is about half full of media (movies, photos, iTunes library backups) and I would like to invest in a desktop RAID setup for data redundancy (RAID 1). I would like to get a Thunderbolt and/or USB 3.0 drive and I have been looking aroung and I have found these so far.

1. Western Digital Thunderbolt Duo 4TB
2. Lacie 2big Quadra USB 3.0 4TB (there is also a thunderbolt version)

My concerns are that I have seen on some threads here that Lacie drives have reliability issues and it has made me shy away from them a little. Also my other concern is that Thunderbolt will go the way of Firewire and will die out eventually. I would prefer that the drives have thunderbolt and USB 3.0 but I haven't found a RAID drive like that yet. Any help at all is appreciated!

Why does it have to be desktop ? If you want a RAID backup, then have a look at RAID NAS units. Synology are popular with Apple users, but there's a new range from Netgear plus other brands like Qnap. You can connect these via a LAN for fast transfer (up to 110 MBps).

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Why does it have to be desktop ? If you want a RAID backup, then have a look at RAID NAS units. Synology are popular with Apple users, but there's a new range from Netgear plus other brands like Qnap. You can connect these via a LAN for fast transfer (up to 110 MBps).

In my experience, there is a huge increase in performance moving from a NAS to a Thunderbolt DAS. It is not just the bandwidth... it is going through the entire TCP/IP stack for every minor access.

I suggest that the OP stay with his original goal of implementing a DAS... unless it is for relatively slow access to media.

/Jim

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
In my experience, there is a huge increase in performance moving from a NAS to a Thunderbolt DAS. It is not just the bandwidth... it is going through the entire TCP/IP stack for every minor access.

I suggest that the OP stay with his original goal of implementing a DAS... unless it is for relatively slow access to media.

/Jim

Let's hear from the OP first. Does he also want a quiet system ? Nothing quieter than a device in another room ?

tjusafa14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2011
Yeah I would love to use a NAS and I have looked at the Synology ones but I am at college and we don't have wireless in our rooms and we aren't allowed to setup our own network so my only real option is a desktop RAID.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
Yeah I would love to use a NAS and I have looked at the Synology ones but I am at college and we don't have wireless in our rooms and we aren't allowed to setup our own network so my only real option is a desktop RAID.

OK, but you can still have it on your desktop if you wish AND use it in an iSCSI mode (not sure if this is possible in OSX but does exist). I suggest you compare the two approaches and see which you prefer. Cost may well be cheaper with a NAS.

utekineir

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2008
I would like to invest in a desktop RAID setup for data redundancy (RAID 1).

I am at college and we don't have wireless in our rooms and we aren't allowed to setup our own network so my only real option is a desktop RAID.

Keep in mind.

1)Raid is not a backup, only a backup is a backup and even that without an offsite backup is not really a backup.

And far more importantly.

2) You live in a dorm. Things get stolen in dorms. Unless you're an antisocial prick you have people in and out of your room, door open on a regular basis, etc. Maybe you even drink your ass off multiple nights a week, or bring random people in for sessions, friend has a random shady friend that end up in your room for a bowl, it happens. You may even have a roommate, all the security in the world doesn't help having a roomate that goes off to take a shower and leaves the door open/unlocked/propped while you're at class, or brings in whoever.

A fancy raid box is a target.

My advice since you are in a dorm, get 2 4tb usb 3 drives for around $130-$140 each (they're on sale frequently for that now). Keep one attached to your computer, keep one in a drawer out of sight.

Every week or two sync the one in the drawer, then put it back.

You'll also have extra money left over for social activities.

tjusafa14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2011
Keep in mind.

1)Raid is not a backup, only a backup is a backup and even that without an offsite backup is not really a backup.

And far more importantly.

2) You live in a dorm. Things get stolen in dorms. Unless you're an antisocial prick you have people in and out of your room, door open on a regular basis, etc. Maybe you even drink your ass off multiple nights a week, or bring random people in for sessions, friend has a random shady friend that end up in your room for a bowl, it happens. You may even have a roommate, all the security in the world doesn't help having a roomate that goes off to take a shower and leaves the door open/unlocked/propped while you're at class, or brings in whoever.

A fancy raid box is a target.

My advice since you are in a dorm, get 2 4tb usb 3 drives for around $130-$140 each (they're on sale frequently for that now). Keep one attached to your computer, keep one in a drawer out of sight.

Every week or two sync the one in the drawer, then put it back.

You'll also have extra money left over for social activities.

I like the idea of the two usb 3 drives to keep the cost down. But about the things getting stolen from my room. I go to a military academy so things being stolen isn't much of a concern because I leave my door to my room open all day anyway. I am more concerned about hard drive failure and loosing all my data so having two drives with the same thing on both with all my schoolwork, music, and other media is what I would like.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.