Help choosing a small(ish) TV

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gazfocus, Feb 14, 2008.

1. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I am looking at buying a 19" TFT TV (I'm currently looking for a new monitor and this will serve as both in the meantime).

I am torn between 2 Samsung models.

The Samsung SM932MW and the Samsung LE19R88BDX

They look exactly the same in terms of specifications apart from the 2nd one has built in digital TV. Is it worth paying the extra £80 for freeview built in or am I better off buying an external freeview box?

When I get my ACD, it will be used primarily as a TV for my bedroom.

Thanks

2. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

I look at it from a connivence perspective. Having it built in is one less set of wires cables to deal with and one less item to find a place for.

Personally if it were only 80 then that's really not to bad. Less cable management the better, less object management the better.

So probably what your willing to deal with. My suggestion would be, go with the built in. It's a little more but there's a connivence factor there that might out weigh the cost.

3. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

That's true :) although with £80 being a 3rd of the price of the TV (and for £80 in the UK I can get a digital box with a built in Hard Drive recorder), I'm not sure what to go with. I do like the idea of having it all built in though.

4. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Yah, I hear yah. I for one like the bigger and better things, even if it means extra equipment sitting out.

Unsure what prices/parts etc you have been looking at (other than the 2 items you linked above) If the 80 can be spent on something WAY cooler (for lack of a better expression) then maybe there's a way to neatly place it or conceal it. OR another alternative is get the cheaper TV now, then get the digital box at a little later date, then maybe you'll be able to spend more on a better one?

/shrug :eek:

5. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

The Digital box I was looking at is:

Hitachi HDR082 DTR with a built in 80GB Hard Drive

6. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Anymore thoughts? Is it worth an extra £80 for built in digital?