Help choosing an SSD for my mid-2010 Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ivbaseball06, Oct 18, 2012.

1. ivbaseball06 macrumors member

Hi all,

My wife is a teacher and has a mid-2010 white unibody Macbook. You can get all of the specs by going to this page:

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/identify-mac-serial.php

And typing in the serial: W8033GD6F5W

She's a teacher and doesn't use her computer for anything intensive. However, it's not a very powerful machine and is starting to slow down. I'd like to put a SSD in it for her to make it snappier. She doesn't need anymore than a 120 or 128 GB drive.

Can anyone lend some advice for a good SSD (but affordable) that will also be compatible with the system? I tried to look it up on iFixIt but they only offered one SSD choice. Is that the only one that will work in her Macbook?

Any help is appreciated!

2. simsaladimbamba

You can get any 2.5" SSD you want, the most recommend one right now is the Samsung 830 SSD series, 120 GB cost less than 100 €, 240 GB cost less than 180 €.
    You could also think about upgrading to 8 GB RAM for less than 50 €.

MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

the guide includes:
    • 0. Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
    • 1. Getting a new HDD
    • 2. Guides to replace the internal HDD with a newer one
    • 3. Transferring data from the old HDD to the new HDD
    • 4. Using the optical disk drive (ODD) slot for placing an SSD or HDD inside the MB/P (OPTIBAY)

3. ivbaseball06 thread starter macrumors member

Do I need to buy a SATA II SSD or will a SATA III work? When I go into 'About this Mac' it says 'Link Speed = 3 Gigabit' and 'Negotiated Link Speed = 1.5 Gigabit'.

4. simsaladimbamba

I have an S-ATA 6.0 Gbps (S-ATA III) SSD in my 2009 MBP (which only has that S-ATA 3.0 Gbps (S-ATA II) interfac) and it works fine.
    Your negotiated speed is probably due to the HDD being only S-ATA 1.5 Gbps (S-ATA I), which is more than okay, as no notebook HDD can even saturate S-ATA 1.5 Gbps (S-ATA I).

5. ivbaseball06 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help! I think I'm going to go with a 120 GB Kingston SSDNow SATA III. I had one of those in my old Macbook Pro and it worked really nice. And they're pretty affordable. Do you think that sounds like a good idea?