Help choosing Apple Display(s)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by aislepathlight, Aug 8, 2010.

1. aislepathlight macrumors member

Hey all, I just got a fantastic 5 year old powermac G5, and it came with a 20 inch ACD. Now I am in the market for more screen real estate, and need your help. Also, in the near future, I am envisioning building another, more serious gaming and work computer.

I guess there are 3 options that come to mind. They are:

1) Get a single 30 inch ACD. I have seen them going for about $1000-$1100 on Craigslist, lightly used

2) Get a new single 27 inch ACD. That'll run me about $1000, right?

3) Get 2 used 23 inch ACD off of craigslist. Everyone says they are perfect, and I can get 2 for under a grand.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I would get 3rd party monitor. Why? Because those Apple monitors without DisplayPort are old and not special by any means in my opinion. If you got the new 27", you would be limited with GPUs choices and it would not work with your PowerMac I think as it lacks DisplayPort. An adapter costs 200$ so it's pretty pricey. Dell U2711 is same as 27" ACD but has multiple inputs.

3. trip1ex macrumors 68000

Go with a cheap third party monitor as he said. I mean you bought a 5 yr old G5 for some reason.

$150ish should buy you a good 24" 1080p monitor if you look a bit.

4. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Yep, paid $149.99 and free shipping for mine back in May. :D

5. aislepathlight thread starter macrumors member

I mean, I actually bought it with the intention of ripping out all of the internals and building my new computer inside the beautiful aluminum case. So money isn't a big issue at the moment.

How easy is the 30 inch ACD to use with non-Apple products?

There is one available in my area for under $1000... So tempting.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

30" is easy to use with other products as it has dual-link DVI, Mini DisplayPort is little tricky