All iPads Help Choosing Between Air or Mini

Discussion in 'iPad' started by omgzombies, Feb 10, 2014.

1. omgzombies macrumors newbie

The usual question. Should I get an air or mini?

My little minions just destroyed my 1st generation ipad. So... I'm now looking to replace it. I use it mostly for checking e-mail, browsing pinterest, a few internet forums, reading ebooks, and games (Kingdom Rush, Civ, Dominion, etc). Any thoughts on which might be better suited for my needs? I like the idea of the mini, but I want to make sure I can play games on it without problem. Thanks!

2. kristalsoldier macrumors regular

kristalsoldier

3. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

You like to play games and you already have them then I think you will love an iPad Air. :apple:

4. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Just buy and try the Mini for yourself with what you want to do. You will have a window for return, usually 14 days.

5. omgzombies thread starter macrumors newbie

Eye sight is fine. I have no problems there, and I love the small nature of the mini. I'm very tempted by it, I just don't want to try games out on it, and then be cursing the smaller screen size.

I'd rather not have to make a separate trip to the mall to exchange. I'd much rather get it right the first time!

6. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

I'd go to The apple store and play around with them and make your decision there.

7. Curun macrumors 6502

Curun

You liked the size of your old iPad 1?

The iPad Air is already smaller than it, thinner, lighter, and slimmer side bezels. Why go for extreme small?

Also... your going to your mall, to an Apple store there I assume? Play around with a Mini vs an Air when you are there.

8. AppleRobert macrumors 603

The rMini is currently $349 at Best Buy if it is closer to you so I saved you $50 already on it and $150 over an Air! :D

You aren't going to be able to do everything you want to with using the devices in the stores to try them. Yes, you will sort out some things but ...

If you already had a larger Ipad and liked it, go for the Air. Seems more the "get it right the first time" sensible recommendation since you have no experience with a smaller one. ;)

9. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

I was 100% certain that I needed a Mini, and even after using both I decided to keep the Mini Retina. However, after about a month's use --- I bought under extended holiday return period, I returned it and got the Air instead.

The Mini felt toylike to me, constantly scrolling when reading PDFs, browsing the Internet, etc was a pain. I was not put off by the inferior screen, however the Air's slightly better screen was a bonus.

Our uses are somewhat similar, so I think you would be better served with the Air.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its such a personal decision, you need to decide if you want the larger iPad or the smaller. I perfer the smaller one, buy YMMV

11. Dave Meadows macrumors 68020

Dave Meadows

Help Choosing Between Air or Mini

I have and love both. I use the air at home on my lap and the mini in the office. I can fit the mini in my trouser pocket. It's great for carrying around the office. Mini is good as a good e reader too.

12. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

13. episcientist macrumors newbie

I went with the retina Mini after spending some time with both devices. It really comes down to what screen size you prefer since the display resolution and internals are nearly identical. I like that I can comfortably hold the Mini with one hand when I'm reading, just like a book. The other thing I really like is that in landscape mode I can hold it with both hands and reach every key on the keyboard with just my thumbs.

14. tonyy macrumors 6502a

tonyy

I played with the Air at the store yesterday and was very impressed. I love how thin and light it is, plus the larger screen is really nice. I'm still sticking with my rMini however. It's hard to beat now that it has a retina display.

15. Dave Meadows macrumors 68020

Dave Meadows

I've been working from home this week and found myself using the mini more. Just so light and easy to carry around. The only thing is is that I have to 'pinch' to expand text more. They are both equally superb. At the end of the day the mini is more portable than the air but the air a better (as in bigger) display.

16. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Other than purely for portability reasons and always being on the go with the tablet, I can't see why anyone would choose smaller over bigger. The Air screen size is such an an enormous difference, IMO.

Or super small hands. :D

17. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

I bought the Mini last week for two reasons. One was that I didn't plan on using the iPad like a traditional computer. I wanted to use it while out and about and the smaller profile of the mini was perfect for that. The other reason being Best Buy was having a sale on the Retina Mini for $349.99 and I didn't feel like spending an extra $150 for two extra inches of screen when that money could instead go towards the accessories.

18. Americasteam macrumors member

I returned my Mini Retina for the Air tonight. There's a huge difference in screen quality between the two. Didn't think it would make as much difference as it did. Very happy with my decision.

19. nfl46 macrumors 603

Help Choosing Between Air or Mini

I chose between an Air and Retina Mini. Both were around $420 brand new...went with the Mini. I just prefer to hold the device in one hand even though the Air price was a steal. So portability won out for me.