Help choosing format and partition type of external drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rbf1138, Jul 19, 2009.

1. rbf1138 macrumors 6502

I just ordered a 1 terabyte WD external drive, and I'm planning on creating one partition for music/movie storage, and a second smaller partition for a superduper clone. So my first question is, what format should each partition be in? I'd like the movies/music partition to be Windows compatible...will choosing FAT32 make any difference in my use of this partition when used with my OSX machine, and what benefits would I see by using Extended Journaled instead? Then, what format do I want the Superduper backup partition to be? Finally, when I initially format and partition the external drive, is there anything I should do to prepare it first, or just go right ahead, divide it in two (approx. 650gigs for music/movies, the rest for superduper) and then format each partition on its own into the formats they need to be in?

Thanks!

Also, do I use GUID partition format? As you can tell, I'm a bit confused about some of this.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You'll want the SuperDuper partition to be MacOS Extended (Journaled), HFS+, and the music/movies will depend.

Do you have any movies that are larger than 4GB?

3. rbf1138 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'd like the capability of moving files over 4 gigs...what are the cons to going with the file scheme that allows me to do that vs. not?

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Well. FAT32 cannot handle files over 4GB. Windows cannot read HFS+, and OS X needs NTFS-3G to write to NTFS.

I would not recommend using NTFS for your music and movies if you are using iTunes, since you have to rely on a third-party plugin to access them.

5. rbf1138 thread starter macrumors 6502

The movies/music portion will just be storage, I wont be using it as an itunes library. That said, if I go with HFS, then Windows can't read it...hm.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

There is MacDrive ... but, it's not free.

If it will merely be storage, then NTFS with NTFS-3G on the Mac will be fine.

7. rbf1138 thread starter macrumors 6502

So, I specify that partition as NTFS, then install the NTFS-3G driver on my Mac, and I'll be able to then read/write to that partition, move files larger than 4gigs, and use it on Windows machines?

Maybe I misunderstood above, but if I were to double-click a movie or music file on the drive, it wont open in itunes/vlc/quicktime then? I'd have to move it onto the Mac first to run it at all?

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

In order to format it as NTFS from your Mac, you'll need to have NTFS-3G installed already.

http://macntfs-3g.blogspot.com/

It will open fine.

My point was that I wouldn't trust a third-party plugin to constantly read/write files for something like iTunes.

9. rbf1138 thread starter macrumors 6502

Finally, which partition table types do I choose? Will it be GUID for both, or just for the NTFS-3G one? Apple Partition Scheme with HFS+ for SuperDuper portion?

Thanks for all the help thus far

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s