Help Choosing Laptop macbook for gaming?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JonnyAlpha, Nov 23, 2008.

1. JonnyAlpha macrumors regular

Hi;

I am in the market for a new Laptop for Xmas, my Compaq is 5 years old!!!

I have been looking at the myriad of choices and seem to be focusing on Sony, Toshiba, Dell or Apple.
    Budget is about £700 and I want to get as much bang for my buck, I have been a Windoze geek for about 15 years and fix them in my spare time but have recently bought an iMac and as such was thinking of buying a macbook to compliment it?

I've never used Windows Vista so am not fussed about the OS, what I want is a decent amount of storage, fast WiFi, good graphics, I suppose my main question is what games can the standard white macbook handle with its Intel GMA X3100 graphics card? Its the only one really in my budget?

I'd actually prefer a new 13 inch macbook because of its graphics card, what kind of games can the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M handle?

Ta

2. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

What the "classic" MacBook can handle depends on your preferences... I run Call of Duty 2 and Unreal Tournament 2004 happily on my MacBook (though online play isn't great). The new one does a lot better in gaming, though, so if that's a concern I would find a way to stretch your budget. Maybe wait a bit for refurbs to start hitting the store...

3. frogger2020 macrumors regular

If you are mainly concerned with gaming, then you would get much better bang for your buck by getting a gaming pc laptop. I was mainly a gamer and stayed with pc's for many years. However, within the last couple of years I realized I didn't game that much and decided a mac may be the way to go. If I had remained a gamer, I would have stayed with pc's.

4. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

I'm sure you already know this, but "laptops" and "gaming" are not two words often used in the same sentence unless it involves the word "not". That being said, it's getting better - but so are the games.

If you were set on getting a laptop, though, I would definitely point in the direction of the newer MacBooks. I can run some games on my older (Santa Rosa) MBP like CSS and COD4 very well AFTER I upgraded the RAM and HDD. As for buying an older MB for games, I think that wouldn't be a great choice. And since you seem to have your eyes on gaming, I would bit the bullet and buy the newer MB.