Help choosing mac pro vs macbook pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by indiochano, Apr 5, 2009.

1. indiochano macrumors regular

Ok here's the deal... I'm graduating this may and i'll be needing a computer for animation/3d rendering/photoshop... thing is, i'll be heading to seattle for a 3 month internship... and I'm stuck between getting a mac pro vs a macbook pro.

I want the horsepower of a mac pro because it will serve me well in the future but I feel as if a macbook pro will suit me best during the course of this internship as i'll be able to carry it around with me, being able to transfer work in and out of my house with ease (as well as being able to work with it at work).

So, performance (and longevity) vs mobility... what would you choose?

2. Dragonforce macrumors 6502a

Dragonforce

Actually you answered that question by yourself.
    If you need the portability, get the MBP. You can always get a MP later on.

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

If everything you can do and need, can be achieved on a MBP, then you don't really need a workstation level MP. If that makes sense to you. :p

4. jons macrumors 6502

Get the MBP, then when you settle down and don't need to be portable, sell it and buy your Pro.

5. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hmm... Technically speaking a MP is mobile if you don't mind packing a couple of Pelican cases with you, one for the machine another for the display, while you're on your travels. This might sound like a complete overkill but there are many people who actually do it, myself included.

6. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

Buy a Mac Pro and...

[​IMG]

Now your Mac Pro becomes portable. :cool:

7. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

You could also hook it up on your back, a la GhostBuster style. :cool:

8. cmaier macrumors G3

Anyway....

I'd go with the MBP. It can handle most anything you'll throw at it (not as fast as possible, but fast enough to be quite serviceable). And you'll get more use from it because you'll have it with you wherever you need it.

9. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

That's nothing mate...

If your airliner doesn't mind, you can combine the two, get one for the MP and the 30" ACD too!! LOL...

The one I have, is an awesome case!! Takes more knocks than baggage handler can dish out! Even floats on water (so the pamphlet says) - not gonna test it, bath tub ain't big enough... lol Only thing I hate, it weight as much as the MP itself!! :eek::eek::eek: