Help...clamxav findings

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by brentg33, Aug 24, 2008.

1. brentg33 macrumors 6502a

So i decided tonight to run a clamxav scan of my user folder, and to my surprise, for the 1st time...it actually found something....so i need to know if this is a dangerous thing and if so, should i just pull to the trash to delete...or something more
    thanks
    brent

Attached Files:

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

AppFresh is an application updating service, so more may be up than is at first obvious. That file appears to be some sort of internal database AppFresh uses. If it's infected or exploited, that's bad news. Deleting it, and letting AppFresh recreate it, should fix the problem.

3. brentg33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i deleted appfresh all together and have not installed it again. I sent an email to the developer asking about it. is there anything else i should scan on my machine? after the deletion of the app, i rescanned the infected folder and nothign was found....what issues can this expoilt have caused for me?
    thanks
    brent

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The worst that could happen is downloading what appear to be application updates, but are actually malicious files. In most cases, though, this won't happen, and you'll get a corrupt database error and/or complaints from AppFresh about invalid downloads. Both of these problems are easily fixed with the solution I mentioned above - unless the AppFresh application is itself infected, in which case only a reinstall will cure it.

5. brentg33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

well i completely unistalled appfresh using app zapper.....however, should i scan the entire HD in my MBP to see if anything else is there?

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I would, if I were you, just to be safe.

7. brentg33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thank you for your help, do you think this means i should be running some-sort of real-time anti-virus app? like virus barrier?

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I don't think it's strictly necessary, but in the end it's up to you I suppose.

9. brentg33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i take it that you do not....woudl you now in my circumstance?

10. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I would consider it, at the very least. I'd do my research, and make sure I got an app that didn't clash with my operating system or cause more problems than it solved (Norton AntiVirus is guilty of both of these things).