Help cleaning my MacBook Pro ? So bothered !

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ItalianRacer, Sep 23, 2011.

1. ItalianRacer macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am new to the forums and have come here specifically to ask a question but I look forward to also becoming a part of it.

So I got my MacBook Pro about a year ago, and now I see that it is very filthy and me, being OCD as I am, is getting rattled at it.

The problem is the keys feel greasy. They are not that lacklustre and somewhat flat based style they once were, but instead they are splotchy, shiny, and feel greasy to the touch.

In between the keys there is brownish dust, or what appears to be just dirt.

I always took care of my MacBook with my life, made sure I washed my hands before using it, but I assume this is only natural that it will get dirty...I hope.

What can I do to clean it ? Because dare I say it, I am getting disinterested in my MacBook because I hate to see it in this condition.

I was told to use Windex by another Mac-user, my roommate, who actually made me realize how dirty it was when I used his new MacBook Pro to print off a reading for a class I had.

I am not sure what to use/what to do because the last thing I want to do is damage my MacBook in any way, shape, or form. I would like to clean the shell, or the outside as well.

I am disgusted by this...anyone help ?!?!

2. ItalianRacer thread starter macrumors newbie

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

well the keyboard has openings so dont get it wet i guess is the key to the info i posted

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Ever so slightly moist microfiber cloth works well. For grease, I recommend rubbing(isopropyl) alcohol with a microfiber cloth as it breaks down greases such as skin oils which can get on keys.

5. fullojellybeans macrumors regular

Don't use windex. Bad idea. Use alcohol wipes and a can of air place the machine upside down and blow it liberally with the air. Watch the last year of your life come tumbling out of your keyboard

6. ItalianRacer thread starter macrumors newbie

A can of air ? And that frightens me a little...have you done this before ? Sorry if I am asking; just the thought of place the machine upside down and watching stuff tumble worries me lol.

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

Wow, your worry easily. It's a laptop, it's meant to be handled. Turn it off and turn it upside down, spray it down nice and good with the can of air, and once you're done wipe it down with rubbing alcohol, it'll be fine.

8. ItalianRacer thread starter macrumors newbie

My personality, nothing personal buddy. :D What is this can of air you speak of ? Sorry, I just never heard of it.

9. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Ah, first thing maybe don't wait a year to clean it.

Quicker than you could of written your post a wipe with a slightly damp cloth would of helped.

Just can't see how this can be a big deal???

10. ItalianRacer thread starter macrumors newbie

Never really noticed it to an extent, until I compared the two. Not even compared, I just used a newer MacBook for about 5 minutes and instantly felt a difference.

Big deal to me, individual personality makes everyone different.

11. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

Isopropyl alcohol. Takes seconds to lift the junk from the aluminum

12. fullojellybeans macrumors regular

After you clean it wear gloves while using it. No more grossness

13. snaky69 macrumors 603

Looks like this [​IMG] And contains compressed air.

That is all.

14. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

OmniCleanz from RadTech. It is non-conductible so No Worries using it on delicate electronics. Displays, keyboards, eyeglasses, iPhones, camera lenses... I clean all of them with OmniCleanz. It simply works, leaving no residue or streaks.

OmniCleanz is available bundled with microfiber cloths and in various sizes. The larger sizes are the best value. The last time I ordered some RadTech included a 1 ounce bottle for free; I wasn't expecting it and it was a nice gesture. The 1 oz. bottles are ideal for cleaning when you are on-the-go.

15. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

How come you never take care of your MBP for a year?? Do you really love your MBP? :)

16. ItalianRacer thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestions.

@Snaky69: I see, I will get on that right away. Will look into it.

@Mojo: I have heard of the product from a friend of mine who works at an electronics store and your testimonial has increased my confidence so I thank you.

@Badrottie: I never noticed it or else I would have...and I do clean it, just maybe not well enough...apparently.

Any other suggestions ?