Help! Cloning old HD to new!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ranviper, Apr 15, 2011.

1. ranviper macrumors 6502a

ranviper

Hey guys (and gals) I got my new scorpio black in the mail today and would like to clone the hard drive including the OS to the new one so I can replace the internal with this. I have an enclosure and the USB connector, but do I need one of those adapters to do this? Or can it all be done over USB (yes IK it will probably take forever.)

And also, how exactly would I go about cloning everything including the OS. And is there a way I could clone a dual boot? Thanks so much in advance!

2. YsoSerious macrumors 6502

YsoSerious

Use super duper software to clone your drive. There are other 3rd party cloning software out there, just google it. Your HD enclosure should be fine. Put new drive in there and fire up the cloning software of choice and your on your way.

3. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I always liked carbon copy cloner, it's free and I've never had a problem. Just make a full backup with it and you're good to go.

4. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Second Carbon Copy Cloner. Just do a full bootable clone, check to see if you can boot from the clone in the external enclosure before you put in your Mac and you should be good to go. As far as dual booting goes I think CCC only works with Mac formatted volumes.